GoKunming Forums

Adventure activities in Kunming

svennarna (3 posts) • 0

We have just arrived in Kunming and are looking for some adrenaline activities. Does anyone have ideas or information about activities such as climbing (indoors or outdoors), rafting, paragliding, mountainbiking or anything else that seems fun...?
Thanks for any help!

calyx (12 posts) • 0

Climbing is supposed to be pretty decent in Kunming, although some of the routes aren't so well maintained. I believe some of them are out West near Xishan. There is at least one, maybe two indoor walls, one of which is out near the Camellia hotel in the east of the city and is (I think) called Redpoint. Check out www.climbingkunming.com for more info, most of it in Chinese, but it should help and maybe get you in touch with a group of people who go out pretty regularly. As for rafting I know there's one guy around who has done a bunch of first descents in Sichuan and Yunnan, and he's trying to start a rafting company, train guides, etc. but maybe not up and running yet. www.shangri-la-river-expeditions.com is a good site that tells about some of the expeditions he's been on as well as really fascinating info on the geology of the NW Yunnan/Tibetan plateau area. Not sure if they run commercial trips, and if so they would be pretty pricey. Don't know much about mountain biking, sorry, though there's a group that goes out for long road rides on weekends. Paragliding here sounds like about as good an idea as drinking untreated tapwater or assuming you have pedestrian right-of-way on a walk sign. I wouldn't, but I'm sure some people do. If you're looking for other activities, there are always things like Chinese martial arts and capoeira, but the fact is that Kunming itself isn't known for its thrills. We relish our low blood pressures and sedate afternoon walks around Cuihu. But if you really need that rush biking through rush hour traffic might do it.

zidi1976 (1 post) • 0

There's a local paragliding company, Kunming Blue Angels: www.kmlts.cn/. Also, just 30km nw of town there's good climbing at Fumin. Calyx is right, biking in the city is always good for an adrenaline rush.

svennarna (3 posts) • 0

Hi and thanks for your tips! calyx, do you have any contact info for the rafting guy? The homepage you mentioned doesnt seem to be working. Thanks again!

Related forum threads

Login to post