GoKunming Forums

Hey Morons!

JJ and Janice (324 posts) • 0

What humiliation?? My point has always been - - if you get wasted and out of control in a foreign country - - then you are a moron because ANYTHING can happen. One must ALWAYS be in control!! Out of control - - take the consequences.

Cheers - - JJ

outraged_christian (3 posts) • 0

You sound like a barrel of laughs JJ, can I come to your house and moderately trade witticisms and judgments. Then maybe pray to jeebus for a few hours?

We can wear slippers - it will be very safe.

maudiodj (6 posts) • 0

@ outraged christian

Let's keep this in the spirit of a friendly debate rather than insults.

@ jj

the humiliation is having a mistake made being discussed by a whole community for everyone to see. I don't disagree with your point, merely the way that this is being aired.

OK - - Outraged - - but probably better in public rather than my house because my wife is dangerous. And, by the way, I am a retired Navy SEAL with several years combat - - and I have seen almost every possible man's inhumanity to man - - so ain't many surprises left for me. We can meet in one of the coffee houses in Bei Chen area - - and you might be surprised that an old fellows wit can probably match yours.

Cheers - - JJ

LuJingLin (28 posts) • 0

These threads always devolve into semantics and name calling. I think the reason Colin started this thread hits at a bigger picture issue. There are more and more foreigners coming to China and Kunming for what seems two main reasons. The first being geinuine interest in living abroad and in Chinese culture/life. The second seems to be the idea of finding an extremely easy life- easy money, cheap living, ready access to drugs, whatever... Many of us fall somewhere between the two.

But the fact is that, for whatever reason you're here, for how long, and whether we like it or not, foreigners in China are guests in this country. We also, as individuals, represent a very distinct group in Kunming's society as well as our own countries so when we act, we are inevitably perceived in a wider context. And basic self control and awareness, particularly in public places, is a basic expectation for a guest I think.

That said, many consider Kunming home and of course these things happen in foreigner and local Chinese communities (i.e. the college boys I see booting before getting on the bus on weekend nights). But I welcome a reaction like Colin's in starting this thread- it shows a level of investment in and respect for Kunming as a real home, not just the backdrop for a couple semesters of fucking around one could do in any other city in the world. And its healthy to discuss the behavioral standards we consider appropriate for ourselves as guests in this country and members of the expat and wider Kunming community. Its something we should think a lot more about, in my opinion.

Wayne Stephen (1 post) • 0

No, no, no!!! This is going too far! Totally out of control! He did have a meal with a female friend, without KickKick's consent!!! Unbelievable! And they've been drinking!!! Oh my god!!!
As a responsible laowai community, we have to do something. Since KickKick and JJ seem to have and exemplary moral behavior, we should all follow them. I suggest that they becomes the new heads of the Kunming's morality police. We should take turn and organize weekend patrols in the bar to make sure nobody doesn't do anything that could offend them or the others that had the courage to bravely condemn this young dude. As the police can obviously not be everywhere, I suggest that we elect Colin as our morality God. This way, as he said it, even if our mothers are not around, he could always be in our heart, watching our every moves. Then we should meet on Sunday morning at the Salvadors church to decide who we are going to take down on the internet on Monday. This way would insure to keep our youth away for vice and self-destruction. Time has come to action. I don't think none of us have chosen to come to China to enjoy any kind of freedom.

Thank you guys to bring us back on the right track...

colinflahive (167 posts) • 0

My sincere apology. I never intended for this thread to go in this direction. I've been known for my own destructive behavior from time to time. It was a rough night for many of us and I was frustrated by the fact that those trying to help the unconscious victim were being violently repelled from doing so. The opinions of those supporting my initial frustration are not necessarily my opinions. And if I am up for election as "morality god," I think you may be making a mistake casting your vote my way.

kickkick (51 posts) • 0

@ Wayne Stephen

Sterling idea. From now on any and all evenings of wonderful hotpot and baijiu which culminate in assault go through me. Without my rubber stamp you're doing something terribly unconscionable and will be dealt with accordingly.

PS. This initiative will only last as long as it takes my moral code to assent to the idea that dropping girls on their heads is quite simply a triviality and that anyone at any time could engage in such conduct.

PPS. When this happens I'd like us to be friends. You intrigue me.

PPPS. !!!

For those who have displayed a modicum of sanity - - I applaud. For some of the others - - my sympathy - - for later your experience will likely lead to say - - "I really was a moron!!"

Cheers

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.