GoKunming Forums

Running routes around Kunming

chris (144 posts) • 0

I'd like to start a thread exploring some of the better routes around town for running. Ideally any route on this thread should have minimal car traffic (I know this is tough to do here) and maximum green space.

Let me start with my current favorite new route, which starts at the Yunnan University West Gate and finishes at the Haigeng Olympic Training Facility:

1. Head downhill from Yunnan University's west gate and cross Yieryi Dajie via the elevated passenger walkway.

2. Head west (left) on Yieryi Dajie to the Xizhan roundabout and continue on to Huancheng Xi Lu.

3. Follow Huancheng Xi Lu as it curves southward to Xiba Lu.

4. Take Xiba Lu westward until it curves southward and becomes Xihua Lu.

5. Take Xihua Lu west until you've reached the end of the road, then head left (south).

6. After approximately 250 meters you will cross a river - immediately after crossing the river, take the stairs on your right to the riverside path below.

7. Follow the riverside path for several kilometers until it hits Dianchi Lake and becomes a lakeside promenade.

8. Follow the promenade south until it ends at a street.

9. Go left (east) on said street until you hit Haigeng Park - pay 8 kuai and run along the lakeshore until you hit the east gate.

10. Cross the street and run into the Haigeng Olympic Training compound. In the little shop in the center of the compound there is a fridge full of supercold Gatorade, Amino Supli, Water, etc. At this point you've run about 18 km.

11. Continue past the shop and past the soccer/football fields on the north side of the compound, exiting out the north and heading left to Xingti Lu (兴体路).

12. Take Xingti Lu north until it reaches a T-intersection, head left (west) toward the roundabout - stop, stretch and take a taxi home.

Total distance: 21.4 kilometers

Any other good routes out there? They can start anywhere in the city... the more creative the better.

ilikemountains (10 posts) • 0

Thanks for this! I will be arriving in Kunming in a month and was wondering if there's much of a running community there. Will I look odd, a solo Western female, jogging? And, how's the pollution? I've only visited Guizhou, which wasn't TOO bad.

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

the pollution situation in Kunming is much better than in most Chinese cities. it's not zero, but it's perfectly manageable.

on the 'solo Western female, jogging' issue: you'll get the occasional stare, but it shouldn't be enough to weird you out. generally, the streets are safe, though a sensible choice of route and timing is of course still advised.

if, as your username suggests, you like mountains, you are in luck - Kunming is surrounded on 3 sides by hilly terrain, and i'm sure a strategic cab ride and a little planning will find you some good hilly routes.

word has it there's a 21km cross country race coming up on 22nd November, sounds like you'll be here in time to enter.

redmoon (41 posts) • 0

ilikemountains, ni hao!

If you have an option as to where you'll live when you arrive, the southend near Dianchi is a great place for running. When I first came to Kunming three years ago I lived right next to the lake and discovered that the the training facilities, Haigeng and Hongta have a 6k loop marked out on the street for their athletes. Very convenient.
In addition, there are two streets that run in between the loop so you can serpentine back and forth and squeeze about a 10k out of it without retracing your path. It's a beautiful run on wide, safe streets and sidewalks. Also, since I was training for a marathon at the time, I really appreciated the fact that there were no less than three kiosks where you could stop to buy water.
I can tell you that three ago I was the only runner out there except the elite athletes that I would occasionally come across and I got quite a few stares but people were always friendly and would wave and smile as a past by.
Now days there are runners all over Kunming. I currently live in the north end where there are a lot of runners out in the morning. I think running in Kunming is finally catching on. However, I would not recommend living in the north. Too much traffic. Too much construction dust an noise. Just my opinion. I am currently looking for a new apartment along Dianchi Lu. I miss that area a lot!
Hope this provides you some insight.
haoyun!

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

@redmoon
thanks for confirming that 6km loop - i'd seen the markings, but never checked it out carefully. some of the runners cranking it out down there are seriously speedy.

i was down there yesterday (on two wheels) and went on the roads inside the loop for the first time. smooth, flat concrete road surface. good stuff.

i'd say the only downside of living down there is that it's a bit of a way from the study/eating/nightlife in the centre of town (but great for the minigolf!). that said, if you've come to run, these things probably aren't so important.

ilikemountains (10 posts) • 0

Thanks for all these replies. I'm glad to hear that the air isn't as bad in Kunming as some of the larger cities. I live in Alaska, so I'm kind of spoiled with the air and mountains situation and am guessing I'll cut my running back to just one or two runs a week, which is okay if I'm getting other stuff in, walking a lot, and eating street food.

Hegepig, do you have any more info on that XC race?

About how long a bus/taxi ride is it to Dianchi from the eating/drinking/studying hub? I'd actually rather live somewhere where's it's more difficult to have access to all that, since I'm coming to study Mandarin, but don't want to to be TOO far (like, unable to commute daily for class) to it all. I'll be looking for an apartment when I get there.

Thanks again, all! I'm looking forward to my arrival.

chris (144 posts) • 0

I never thought much of the Panlong River as a running option until I tried it out for the first time recently. I'd recommend starting around where the river meets Erhuan Bei Lu and heading north until you can't run anymore.

Pros: wide sidewalks and (yes, it's true) a few km of dirt trails to run on, very few cross streets, loads of trees and green space, very few people on the sidewalks, the river gets gradually nicer the further you go

Cons: some of the walkways that you can take along the riverside have 'hotspots' of human piss and shit (usually at the bottom of a stairwell), the river does stink a bit (but it's much better than it used to be and seems to be improving), crossing Linyu Lu is all kindsa mafan unless you're willing to hop the traffic barrier in the middle of the road

All in all, a nice run and a good way to explore northern Kunming, which is changing at a speed that is nothing short of insane.

sbarella (105 posts) • 0

hi!is anyone of you guys still in town....and still running?? if yes, please let me know! I just arrived in Kunming and it would be really nice to find someone to go jogging with!

Related forum threads

Login to post