GoKunming Forums

Laos visa

taea07 (2 posts) • 0

Has anybody obtained a Laos tourist visa recently?

What's the procedure?
Cost?
How long does it take?

Is there any special information or documents that they require?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

S_zhongguo (18 posts) • 0

You need ~US$30 (depending on where you are from) and a passport photo. Takes the standard processing time on arrival (i.e. 5-10 mins). No fuss really.

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

@S_zhongguo

do you mean that's the processing time at the border or at the consulate here?

if consulate here, you mean they issue it on the spot, or do you have to go back and collect it?

Oh right sorry, I haven't received one from the consulate here. I've got them on-the-spot from Luang Prabang airport and at the Mohan and Huay Xai border crossings.

piers (144 posts) • 0

The consulate recommend that foreigners get their visas at the border crossing. I went in about a month ago with a friend and they sent her away.

taea07 (2 posts) • 0

Thank you for those replies. I was asking about obtaining the visa at the consulate, but I hadn't realised it was possible to get one at the border crossing or on arrival at the airport.

Does anyone know if they accept Chinese cash, or UK Sterling at the border and airport, or is it only US dollars and local currency?

The Visa processors accept US and Kip (also Baht in Luang Prabang i think), but you can change money easily at any place. You're hassled to change money at the China border, and the airport has money exchange.

onlyone (156 posts) • 0

It's so easu to obtain the laos visa from Kunmig .There are 17 countries canot obtain from Kunming including some african countries you have to check it.Nothing else except two photos .The fees range according to the service at once the most expensive till after 7 days .

lolaladouce (1 post) • 0

Am hoping to go to Strung Treng,Cambodia just across the Laos border. I wonder if it is easy to make the trip overland or fly to Guanzhou then bus to Laos border or if there are some other reasonable alternatives. Would I need to get Cambodia and Laos visa here before leaving?? Thanks for any info,

Nanzhao (18 posts) • 0

Just an update on those who want to get a visa for Laos from the consulate here in Kunming. The new consulate has moved out to has moved to Foreign Consular Area:

Consulate- General of the Lao P.D.R

6800 Caiyun Bei Road,

Guangdu district.

Tel:(871)7335489

I never got anyone to answer the phone, but they will process your visa (need two photos, your passport and filled out form). In fact it is cheaper and easier to do it at the point of entry upon arrival. And they only give you an hour window to pick it up so without your own transportation it is a pain to get out there.

Related forum threads

Login to post