GoKunming Forums

Laos visa

Elisa (174 posts) • 0

I'd stick with US$ in this case. I crossed over from Thailand in 07 and they most likely accepted baht there, but from what I remember, kip are impossible to get outside of Laos itself.

another note: if you are arriving late at night (after 9 or 10pm) have some small bills with you also. I remember there was an extra dollar fee for late night, but they conveniently don't have change.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Tha Laos Consulate is located on 6800 North Caiyun Road (across from EMPARK Hotel) in Guandu District in Kunming. BUS 149, 154, 162, 169, 170, and C13 can take you there directly. The Laos Consulate phone number is (0871) 733-4522. Mengla is located 223 km (2.5 hours) southeast of Jinghong. The Mohan-Boten (China-Laos) border is located 57 km (1.5 hours) southeast of Mengla. Chinese citizens crossing this border need a Health Card to enter Laos. A health card can be obtained at the Mengla Entry & Exit Inspection & Quarantine office on Wan Hua Road in Mengla. Their phone number is (0691) 816-0226. This is the only international border between China and Laos. There are borders in Luangnamtha, Udomxai, and Phongsali which are for locals only.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Made it to the Laos Consulate, about a 40 kuai taxi ride from Bei Chen Da Dao, Walked from the security gate to the consulate and got quick service. But left without a visa.
If you are an American, you get your visa at your entry point. Sorry about that.
Getting a taxi back home is nearly impossible. It took more than one hour to get a taxi. Was unfamiliar with the bus numbers and the bus signs were so dirty even the Chinese couldn't read them.
See you in Vientiane!

no way (104 posts) • 0

voa is available at mohan/boten border crossing.

only takes 15 minutes or so, depending on the
crowd. long lines early morning, few people in
the afternoon, unless you're with a bus tour.
cost for usa passport holders is US$35. they may
take kip, but the exchange rate would not be good.
there's also a new fee of 15,000 kip added for
non-diplomatic passport holders. i suspect they
would accept $2 to pay the fee.

i think the open hours are 9-6, but best to check.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

Do they check your Chinese visa at the border? My friend's visa expires on the 18th, he wants to take the night bus that day arriving at the border early on the morning of the 19th. His visa will have expired by a few hours, will that matter?

baiyuxiang (111 posts) • 0

Good question, Haali. Does anyone have an update on the standard(?) fine?

I know several years ago it was Y500 or Y600 per day, although I know for folks who overstayed by quite a few days they were sometimes able to negotiate a lower fine.

Related forum threads

Login to post