GoKunming Forums

Many Condo complexes (小区) are giving Covid testing

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Testing stations seem to have changed to a system where swab samples from 10 consecutive individuals are collected in single container, and tested as a whole. If that batch (of individuals that happened to queue together) tests positive, then all 10 are called for individual re-testing.

Or so I was told - sounds a bit weird (knowing TIC), that all 10 have to go queue again, while fully knowing at least one of them was just tested positive.

Perhaps it was explained to me poorly - would make more sense, in local context, for hazmat suits to visit the individuals instead.

I suppose this speeds testing in situation where there aren't that many cases around - and saves resources.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

This is not new. Combined testing has been the norm in all this mass testing. If your batch receives a positive you get an orange code and you have to go for an individual test. These tests are not at the same place so you don’t queue with the general public.

These combination testing is not geared to see if you as an individual have Covid but to see if there is any Covid in the community at large. Combined testing is thus done if it is expected that there is no Covid.

For the period I have some official data, that was September 25 to 28, 6.54 million tests were done in Kunming and all were negative. That means that still 654 thousand batches had to be analysed. Some 220 thousand per day so it is still an enormous operation.

The benefit of combined testing is cost saving. You can get an individual test as well but they cost 16 kuai.

So be happy that there is combined testing because basically it means that there is no Covid.

For the official report quoted above see:
mp.weixin.qq.com/s/rJh3WDDDdJXzAGrzLy55-A

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Oh OK, makes more sense then.

In the past there were two guys at the counter, one reading QR and other taking sample. Wasn't paying attention how they use the bottles - I assumed they bottled each sample individually.

But today they separately scanned QRs and handed out empty container (I assume) to every 10th individual earlier in the queue, and that person would then carry it to the testing station.

fabey (124 posts) • +1

Kunming will be lifting requirements of showing covid test results for boarding mrt and buses, despite recent surge.

Campaign of vaccinating citizens over 80 years old may ramp up as the nation begins to loosen covid measures.

fabey (124 posts) • 0

Also, instead of locking down an entire building in a community if positive cases are found, only floor levels within the building will be isolated for quarantine.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Thanks @Fabey, that good news.

I presume this lifting of test requirements for the buses will take effect on Monday, as in other cities.

Is a test still required for the airport?

fabey (124 posts) • +1

Yes, airports and rail still require them as easing of covid curbs currently apply within (intra) cities, not inter-cities. Enforcement vary.

Some Yunnan cities are still restricting inbound traveling. Tengchong (hosting "scientists forum" now) and Shangri-la for example.

I'm not in Kunming, but I've heard outbounds from KM to other cities are not recommended as quarantine may await travellers.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Is it test within 48 hours for airport??
My wife has just checked on Yan'an hospital where we normally go (with no problem) and they are now requiring appointment for a covid test - because they're so busy.

They were not busy before when tests were required for bus and subway.

Related forum threads

Login to post