GoKunming Forums

COVID 19 vaccine for foreigners

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

As pointed out by me before the foreign residence population in Yunnan is completely different than the one in the coastal area.
Charging twice nearly a hundred kuai to people/residence from across the Yunnan southern and western borders would be counterproductive. Many of them work in simple agricultural work like rubber tapping, tea picking and as basic labour at construction sides. I think that most of them will be included in the mass vaccination drives that take place in these area.

Mario
It was not a random act of kindness. I have some business dealings with this person.

Same trick might not work for others.

PS: it was a different clinic then yesterday.

ricsnapricsnap (193 posts) • 0

bad organisation and cueus could be borderline acceptable in km, but it's annoying to know one old Chinese student who was given the vaccine in December to be able to go live in Germany where she's been throughout this year on an exchange programme.
this is a 6 months' delay not that easy to justify in terms of, i guess, missing id card number! At least the mobile and elderly laowai population should have been protected earlier, i reckon.

In reaction to my earlier point:

Twenty-five counties and cities in Yunnan province, which borders Vietnam, Laos and Myanmar, had also vaccinated 97 percent of their 4 million target group, according to official data.

www.chinadaily.com.cn/[...]

Ricklane (39 posts) • 0

Congrats to you lemon lover for getting that jab, especially for a foreigner in Kunming. Props to your perseverance. Was it Sinovac? Second dose in two weeks?

According to health care workers' Sinovac vaccination data from Indonesia's health ministry, published by Nikkei Asia two weeks ago:

"The review, which looked at nearly 130,000 medics, found that two shots of the Sinovac vaccine was 94% effective in preventing COVID-19 symptoms, 96% effective against hospitalization, and 98% effective in preventing death, lead researcher and health official Pandji Dhewantara said.

The effectiveness of a single shot was only 13%, the study showed."

asia.nikkei.com/[...]

Not Sinovac but the Vero cell Covid 19 vaccine from Beijing Bio. Second dose in 42 to 56 days so we are not there yet.

Ricklane (39 posts) • 0

An article by SCMP that may be of relevance just went up online.

Sinopharm finally published vaccine trial data in the Journal of the American Medical Association. Though the data do not cover some of the most vulnerable groups like for seniors and those with underlying preconditions. The results are promising as advertised.

"Trial data shows a vaccine made by Sinopharm’s Beijing subsidiary, which has been approved by the World Health Organization for emergency use, could offer 78.1 per cent of protection against symptomatic Covid-19 but the rate dropped to 73.5 per cent after taking asymptomatic cases into account.

Another vaccine by the company’s Wuhan subsidiary, which is in the process of applying for WHO emergency use licensing and has been conditionally approved for general use in China, had 72.8 per cent efficacy against symptomatic cases and 64 cent including asymptomatic ones.

The results were based on data collected from 40,411 participants in the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain last year.

The trial participants were mostly healthy 18 to 59 years old, equally divided into three groups inoculated with the vaccine from the Beijing subsidiary, the Wuhan subsidiary or a placebo.

A total of 142 symptomatic cases were recorded, 26 from the Wuhan vaccine group, 21 from the Beijing vaccine group, and 95 from the placebo group."

www.scmp.com/[...]

Hope this is informative.

Jedickerson0116 (1 post) • -1

The Chinese vaccine is worthless (yet they only accept the Chinese vaccine, not Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, nor Astra Zeneca) for foreigners applying for a work visa.

All you have to do is look at Chile, more than 50% of the country is vaccinated, mostly with the Chinese vaccine, and

Chile is seeing their highest number of COVID cases yet (and the death rate is not decreasing either, so this is not a situation where the vaccine is preventing deaths and serious cases while not stopping people from getting mild and asymptomatic cases).

In places like the U.K. and U.S. the vaccine drive has coincided with a drop in daily cases and deaths.

Charging foreigners more for this vaccine (if you work in China you are paying taxes like a Chinese person) is a slap in the face.

I'm honestly stunned that foreigners stay in China.

Related forum threads

Login to post