GoKunming Forums

shipping bikes to UK

rachelh (4 posts) • 0

Hi

China Post says they can't ship a bike overseas - does anyone have any suggestions? bikeflight and shipmybike are quoting around $1000 which is too expensive - time isn't really an issue.

Thanks

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • 0

Thinking out of the box, no pun intended.

Will they allow you to ship a frame?
I would not ask them, I would just strip the bike (incl. remove forks), wrap the frame and take it down to the post office. If they say they don't ship bikes, tell them it is not a bike, it is spare parts. See what happens.
If that works then the following week ship the wheels, etc.
If the cost of shipping is more than a component, e.g. bars, buy new bars back in the UK.
Maybe worth a try.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

China Post, which is the only cheap option, works with standard boxes to optimise loading and handling. Both a frame and wheels are each too big to fit in their standard boxes.
A consolidated freight, if you can find an agent for this, might work but you have additional cost collecting it again in the UK and probably have to pay tax over it.
Friends of mine took their bikes as accompanied luggage with Cathay Pacific. Cathay allows 30KG luggage and one has to pay a surcharge for the oversized package (It has to be packed in an official bike shipping carton). Cathay (Combined with Dragon Air) has the added advantage that you only have to check in your luggage once because you straight away leave the Chinese mainland so you don’t have to deal with it in Beijing, Shanghai and the like for your flight out of the country.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Dragon Air is now shut down (not permanently I hope) but China Southern flew us Kunming to London Heathrow via Guangzhou with baggage checked through.

See if they can handle a bike or three.

Related forum threads

Login to post