GoKunming Forums

Bank and banking system recommendations

BlueBird (55 posts) • 0

Hi guys,

I am considering changing BOC due to the reason that I do not speak nor write Mandarin and find it difficult to navigate their app.

Do you perhaps have any recommendation on a bank/banking system that is much more friendly user or perhaps a system that gives you a full English version.

Thanks,
Stan

herenow (357 posts) • +1

I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall ICBC offering online banking in English when I had an account there several years ago

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • +2

I get BOC online banking in English, but it only works (at the moment) on IE, which is no longer supported by Microsoft.

If the OP is referring to a mobile app I can well imagine it being Chinese only.

What I find more disturbing now with BOC is that they are now installing so many "Intelligent ATMs" in the branch and doing away with people.

Unlike the old ATMs, the new ones do not have an English option, and for some reason are all within the branch, while old machines in the 7/24 service area are often out of service.

Wendy528 (18 posts) • +2

CMB bank app doesn't have English version.

Neither does the largest bank in the world based on assets in ICBC.

Fortunately the second largest CCB has. Options to change located left top tab > 设置 > 语言

Stay away from BOC's financial packages (理财产品). Customers lost money during pandemic, unlike ICBC or CCB.

rejected_goods (349 posts) • +2

Bank of China ebanking website has english version. you should be able to change to english easy with a click. I use BOC and CCB ( China Construction Bank), both have english version. the reason I keep the BOC account is because it has more branch and ATM outside china through which I can easily withdraw cash while outside china.
one thing I found useful is, when you open a bank account with any chinese bank inside china, apart from you having the USBKey thingie working, you should insist on activating SMS code as a back up. I had bad experience with them bank changing/renew the security cert on the USBKey thingie which requires you downloading a new cert with a proscribed time frame without prior warning, rendering the USBKey useless. you have to physically go to the branch to renew the cert with your ID...etc. if that happens while your are outside china, bummer. having SMS code as back up is wise. :-)

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • +2

@AlPage. Have you tried using Mozilla Firefox to access your online banking?
I know that Google Chrome has created problems for me in the past as I cannot make online payments with my China Merchants Bank account using Chrome, but I am fine with Firefox. I am assuming it bay be the same with Chrome and other banks.

rejected_goods (349 posts) • +1

while leverage is the "kingpin" for financial performance, BOC and CCB has a very interesting setup in their option dealing room. when the oil hit -40USD a barrel, the dealing room was virtually unmanned, no one was there to cut the fishing line. :-) some bright souls there seemed very comfortable with the robot.:-) it is no surprise, the bank lost the bait and the fishing rod . when you feed the robot with rubbish..... the old adage, garbage in garbage out. hahahah

Haali (1178 posts) • +1

I've used CCB for about 8 years and as Chinese banks go they're not bad. We've also got accounts with BOC and ICBC but the experience in both is not as good as CCB. Mind you, these days in the cashless society it's very rare that I go to the bank. I subscribe to the text message service, for 30RMB a year, I always know exactly how much money is in my account and have a record of all the ins and outs, no wasting time logging in or out of an app, no forgetting your passwords etc, just an instant text message every time you pay or receive money, the convenience and peace of mind is well worth the 30rmb imo. I don't use the online banking app so can't comment on that, on the rare occasions I need to transfer large sums, I go to a machine.

BlueBird (55 posts) • 0

Alright Fam,

I have went trough all of your comments and I am thankful to all of you for adding your footprint. I have made a decision, I believe CCB will serve me well (as soon as done with my quarantine). Once again, thank you all, much appreciated!

Related forum threads

Login to post