GoKunming Forums

Moving to Yunnan

debaser (647 posts) • 0

6k per month for 6 days/40 hours PLUS 'activities'?

OP, I hope you have a good amount saved!

kp6562 (3 posts) • 0

I really appreciate the all the insight. We have sufficiently talked about and decided that NW Yunnan is where we want to be. I have a good job and my husband owns a home here but it’s just not the life that we want. Whatever house we buy in Yunnan will be our forever house so I’m comfortable taking a major pay cut. Has anyone had success securing a bank loan for a home without a Chinese co-signer?

debaser (647 posts) • 0

I totally agree. Getting a property loan there as a foreign might be a challenge. I bought there in my Chinese partner's name alone for that very reason. You can later change the name on property ownership papers after the loan is paid off. It's also worth remembering that those with a local Lijiang hukou have access to a far wider range of loans and get favourable terms.

Look outside old town area. There can be a significant difference in price for property that's still within walking distance of everything. Renting land (20 years +) and building is also still an option there that you might want to consider.

In any case, there's more to life than money. Best of luck!

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

yes, good luck kp6562. Debaser is right, it must be one of the coldest places to not have heating in the world, due to the high altitude (about 3400 feet higher than Salt Lake City) to put it into an American perspective), if you are down for the cold winters, high UV, and total lack of any big city amenities, you may like it, the mountains are stunning.

Related forum threads

Login to post