GoKunming Forums

Send stuff in France

Sonia.kimnana (2 posts) • 0

Hello everyone! Hope you are doing well

Due to coronavirus I had to come back in France letting all my stuff in Kunming

I need a way to send them home, does anyone knows the price to send big packages and where? It will be between 30 and 50 kilos

Thank you very much and have a lovely day

michael2015 (784 posts) • +1

Sea freight is cheapest - but you have to pack things really well - lots of bubble wrap and double walled cardboard boxes, tape all the edges of the boxes to prevent splitting.

Remember - your stuff will be crossing the ocean(s) so wrap anything that's susceptible to salt air corrosion - small electronics should go into ziplock bags.

Finally - sea freight - you should expect your freight to be handled as though gorillas were playing catch and football with your freight. Insure it and take dated pictures of anything valuable. You MAY be liable for VAT in your home country.

Best and cheapest place to ship sea freight is ChinaPost.

joming (23 posts) • 0

Sonia, if one of your stuff in Kunming just so happen to include medical equipment such as face masks, be aware. Since April 1st, China customs have set stringent quotas for exports on such products. China Postal EMS customer service previously informed me that exporting over ~150 face masks, or 1,000rmb equivalent worth of uncertified face masks for personal shipment are prohibited. Furthermore, 40kg max weight for China EMS?

This info may apply not just for OP, but anyone exporting such products to worldwide destinations, not just to France.

I believe this April 1 export rule quickly went into effect to curb faulty, uncertified face masks after mass recall from several nations last month. One of which was our editor in chief Vera's home country in the Netherlands?

Sonia.kimnana (2 posts) • 0

Thank you for your answers!
Could someone give me the China post address that does shipment by boat? Because my friend went to an office and they said boat transport is not available anymore.
Oh and just to answer the previous message I’m not sending face masks I’m sending my clothes that I left in Kunming !

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

Most China Post offices provide this service. Point is you have to go there with the unpacked stuff because they will have to inspect it and it will be packed in standardised China Post boxes by them. Therefore there are limits in size and weight as well; for instance a guitar will not fit in a standard box.
I haven’t sent anything lately but would be surprised if they didn’t send anything by sea any longer.

Mind you it will several months to arrive this way. What might be the case is that they push you to use airfreight (EMS) because they make more profit that way.
The address in the link above is the main post office dealing with international shipments.

Related forum threads

Login to post