GoKunming Forums

To Teach in Kunming or Not To Teach

DanDare (141 posts) • +1

You enjoy teaching Chinese students. Is that in the US? A lot of young students here are like prisoners of a system that they resent, or their parents' aspirations. Many won't take the risk of being wrong.
Adult students here are not as common as in Shanghai/Beijing etc. because English is not the lingua franca of business in Yunnan.

Students in the US who are mainland Chinese are those who are probably better at learning English, and that is how they managed to get to the US.

Chinese students love to play language games. Chinese parents will scold the school managers with, "I don't pay you to play with my children". You will also have little freedom to go off piste, you will be expected to stick to the book. Parents judge progress by how many chapters/lessons they do in a month. You can also find students at two or even three levels in the same class. Again, if parent one has a neighbor on level 5, then their kid must be studying on the same level or higher, even if it is beyond the kid, and if the kid fails, it is your fault. The sales people place the kids level, you can only advise, but if the sale is walking out the door, guess what?

University is a good bet. You have more freedom, and all classes are usually in the a.m. After lunch you are pretty much free. You also get to write the exam papers, but you are expected to pass them all. Pay is not so good, but you won't be expected to do office hours. They also usually come with an apartment provided on campus. You can usually take Chinese classes for free, but they won't work your class schedule around them. Food is also cheap on campus. University contracts are water tight. They are written by government and are standard and legal. You will get the same contract at any uni in China.
Note, it takes over 60 days to get all the paperwork sorted for a legal work visa the first time you apply. Any employer who says you can start on a tourist visa is breaking the law, beware.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

China use to be the 'go to place' to teach English.

Not anymore.

I hope that if you come here your experience will be a good one.

Kunming has been good to me.

I met my wife here 14 years ago and for that I will always love Kunming but believe me when I tell you China ain't what it use to be. I'm 62 and I'm tired of being a perpetual 'tourist'. Time to go back to my homeland the USA.

Upstate NY (10 posts) • 0

@DanDare

Thank you. That information was helpful.

What are the reputations of the universities in Kunming? Once I have a better idea of how the virus situation plays out I may try contacting some universities in the city's wiki entry.

@Liumingkei

It's hard to say what the "go to place" to teach English is anymore. I taught in Japan when it was the hot spot and it had its problems although the money was good. I understand how you feel about going home but it's a very different place now, especially evidenced by how we're handling the virus and the fighting between governors and the federal government. The longer we are dumb about social distancing and testing, the longer this virus will be destroying the economy.

DanDare (141 posts) • 0

Universities are similar. The main thing to look for in Kunming is where the campus is. Some are downtown, which is convenient for the downtown lifestyle, bars, clubs, and expat hangouts. Others are out in Chenggong area, which has cleaner air and is quieter, safer to ride your bike and easier access to green spaces and the countryside.

There are two types of institutions, tertiary colleges and universities and colleges. I have taught in both and generally found uni students to be much more interested in their studies. It is worth checking as some universities run sister tertiary colleges, these are not the university. Tertiary colleges don't always offer accommodation.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

Beanstalk has longer holidays than most schools (except universities) and higher pay than most schools and universities in Kunming. However, it is probably harder work and longer hours than the average school or university job.

hongxiongmao (50 posts) • 0

What's the hourly rate or monthly salary at Beanstalk, how many hours per week? Do you mind sharing this info?@Haali

@DanDare

Thank you again for the info. Chenggong sounds very nice. I'm really into bike riding. I'm assuming a tertiary college means kids around the age of 15-18 who are at schools affiliated with the university?

DanDare (141 posts) • +2

No. By tertiary I mean third level, that is after secondary/high school, 18+ years old. There are universities for those who pass their college entrance test. For those who just fail there there are higher education colleges. For those who fail badly there are the vocational schools. Some universities have affiliated higher education colleges, and vocational schools e.g. Kunming University of Science and Technology runs the Golden Bridge college.
Another thing you need to know is that there is a saying about Chinese universities. 'Hard to get in, easy to get out'. The college entrance exam (Gaokao) is brutal, but at the next level student graduate, it is a given.

If you can teach another subject, other than English, the pay and students are much better.
If you can teach in an international school, the same.

Related forum threads

Login to post