GoKunming Forums

Possible free 2 month visa extension

AlexKMG (2385 posts) • 0

@alpage48

Sorry to hear you got canceled out.

But you could look on the positive side that it didn't happen during your planned vacation and you were stuck indefinitely in Thailand.

Also I'm not surprised your local office didnt know about the 2 month extension and redirected you.

It was complete serendipitous luck that my local registration office found out about the 2 month extension after they made several phone calls to other government institutions regarding a completely different border crossing issue.

JanJal (1179 posts) • 0

I want to clarify this - do you guys really go to local police registration offices for visa extensions rather than to the Entry & Exit bureau on Tuodong Lu? I thought that's the only place it can be done in Kunming.

I'm pretty sure our local PSB can't do anything but housing registration.

AlPage48 (1335 posts) • 0

Yet it's the local office that put the next required exit date into the computer system.

To be clear, my visa does not expire for another 5 years, so it's not a visa extension.

They can probably do this - but as Alexkmg pointed out, they often don't know how.

AlexKMG (2385 posts) • 0

@JanJal

I didn't go to the Tudong Lu Bureau, just to my local neighborhood registration office.

Alpage48 is correct that it's not a visa extension or renewal or adjustment to your visa of any sort, so my title is a bit misleading.

It's more like an additional 2 month duration of stay added to what's left on your current duration of stay.

I think if people read the forum the misleading title won't be an issue, but if tigertiger or any other moderator wishes to change or adjust the title of the thread, that'd be fine.

tigertiger - moderator (5094 posts) • 0

I am fine with your use of the word possible. People need to check their own situation for themselves. Because everything is new/irregular to everyone, including the PSB, nothing should be taken for granted we should recognize that everything is potentially open to change.

Personal note: People should check the current situation at the time when they need to act.

AlexKMG (2385 posts) • 0

@Alpage48

Quick suggestion.

The article tigertiger linked has an informational article linked in Chinese.

You could try again at your local registration office Monday.

Show them the Chinese article.

I think with a little effort on their part, they can grant you the extension.

Whether they make that effort always varies from government office to office.

Here is the Chinese link.

mp.weixin.qq.com/s/LspxjrZuUD18Y5YAF4TXcw

AlexKMG (2385 posts) • 0

@Alpage48

Quick suggestion.

The article tigertiger linked has an informational article linked in Chinese.

You could try again at your local registration office on Monday.

Show them the Chinese article.

I think with a little effort on their part, they can grant you the extension.

Whether they make that effort always varies from government office to office.

Also let them know another foreigner in WuHua district already got the 2 month extension granted at their local office.

Maybe that inspires them to look into it further also.

Here is the Chinese link.

mp.weixin.qq.com/s/LspxjrZuUD18Y5YAF4TXcw

With translation, around the middle of the article, there is paragraph that says:

"During the period of epidemic prevention and control, if the period of stay and stay of foreigners in China expires, it can be automatically postponed for 2 months. During the period of extension, there is no need to go through the extension procedure, and they can still stay in China legally or leave the country normally."

The rest of the q&a of the article isn't relevant, so ask them to find that paragraph.

AlPage48 (1335 posts) • 0

Thanks Alex.

Which local police office did you go to.

Our local is on LinYu Lu near the north bus station.

AlexKMG (2385 posts) • 0

Mine is the one for the Think UK complex.

It's on Remin Lu more or less directly south of Think UK. Sorry, I dont have a name or phone for it as I just visit in person usually or use their wechat channel.

I have forgotten to mention, that other than a new date of departure, nothing else was issued to me after I got the extension.

No reissue of the slip they tear off and stamp.

My office just gave me a new exit date and told me to remember it.

AlPage48 (1335 posts) • +1

Wow, got the extension to my exit date today.

It was a multi-part process:
Step 1 - Convince my wife that it's the local police station that do this, not the PSB downtown.

Once she read the article posted in the link earlier she was on side.

Step 2 - Walk across the road to the local police station.

They did not know about this extension, but my wife had the article open on her phone and it convinced them that had to do something - they just didn't know what.

Step 3 - Local police had to research what it was they needed to do and carry it out, which they did.

Step 4 - They produced a new registration form and asked me to sign there part.

I ALWAYS read the forms and sure enough they had not updated the exit date.

Pointed this out and they fixed it.

My new exit date is now May 23rd.

Step 5 - Since they don't give you a copy of the form with the date as recorded in their computer I took a photo for later use in case it's needed.

Thanks Alex and Tigertiger for the help, and especially for that web document.

Related forum threads

Login to post