GoKunming Forums

StudyPlace in the time of cholera?

SmurfyPants (14 posts) • 0

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is more suitable for the subsection "study" or "living in Kunming". But I guess since this is not directly related to things like questions concerning administrative issues in universities etc., maybe it's more appropriate under here. But feel free to remove if this is against the rules.

Basically I'm looking for a place to study/write my paper. All the libraries are closed "until further notice", and even the cafés are closed as of today. I know I should be able to study in my place but I live in a really loud apartment (imagine having a 3-year-old following you 24/7, plus I'm just a snowflake who can "only study when it's quiet and without people moving/making noises before my eyes all the time). I have active noise cancelling headphones but they don't really block out the noise/chatter, let alone the constant movements.

I was wondering if y'all know of any such place that is quiet and has wifi (and maybe is warm-ish) and is open these days? I know I sound like I'm a spoiled millennial but dissertation season is stressful and frustrating.

Any advice welcome! Thanks in advance!

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • +1

Good luck.
With so many places shut down the only thing I can think of that could have wifi, be warm and potentially quiet would be (could be?) a hotel.
The downside is that it would cost.

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • +2

The first thing I would do is contact my university, and explain your situation. You need to do this promptly, before thins start opening up again, that way you can ask with a clear conscience. The university may well have other students in the same position. Your supervisor would be your best first point of contact. You need to ask for two things. Firstly, you need to ask for a deadline extension, this may only be limited. The second thing to ask about is the possibility of changing you status from full time to part time student. The latter is an administrative action, but would mean that you much more time to complete your degree, within the existing set of rules.

Another thing you can do, if your toddler has any sort of routine, is change yours. Become a nocturnal person, and sleep during the day. A lot of students under deadline pressure burn the midnight oil anyway.

Beyond that, keep watching the goKunming articles and comments for any cafe re-openings.

herenow (357 posts) • 0

Further to AlPage48's suggestion, check out AirBnB and Ctrip - some of the prices are really low right now, presumably because of the coronavirus. You could probably get a decent place for under 500 RMB per week as a stopgap.

Related forum threads

Login to post