GoKunming Forums

Keep Calm and Carry on

herenow (357 posts) • 0

@EddyC:

The context is crucial for the the State Department security alert that you cited. The full quote reads as follows:

"“We strongly urge U.S. citizens remaining in China to stay home as much as possible and limit contact with others, including large gatherings. Consider stocking up on food and other supplies **to limit movement outside the home**." (Emphasis added)

This makes clear that the alert does not relate to the food supply chain as your post seems to imply. In fact, virtually every report I have seen indicates that supermarkets within Wuhan itself are fully stocked, let alone Kunming. ( Such as from RNZ: www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtlAGoMwVtU )

That said, I agree with you about being prepared for worst-case scenarios. That obviously includes keeping emergency provisions, and it's also prudent to increase them somewhat during times of uncertainty such as this.

herenow (357 posts) • +1

I just noticed that the State Department's travel advisory has been updated to read "Those currently in China should attempt to depart by commercial means." ( travel.state.gov/[...] ) I'm pretty sure it said "consider departing" just a few days ago.

The new advisory seems misguided to me if public information about the virus's infectiousness and mortality rates is vaguely reliable. Compared to just staying home, it would appear to be at least as risky to take a taxi/Didi, go through procedures at the airport/station, and then sit for hours amidst dozens/hundreds of strangers in the enclosed space of a plane or train. Especially since some fellow passengers could be infectious even if they don't have symptoms, per the following report: www.cnn.com/[...]

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

couriers always go back to work, on paper, after the spring festival, but things are still messed up for a while. different parts of the courier chain stopped work at different times before the hols so where things are in the supply chain is messed up. there will be a backlog, and guess what, it is not first in first out. it is usually the ones closest to the door first out after a holiday. some orders won't be fullfilled until the suppliers go back on the 9th. and even there there will be a backlog. some supply chain workers just have not been able to get back to work yet. normally for cny things get messed up, this year especilly so. no surprises or need for concern.

EddyC (36 posts) • 0

A message from the Foreign Office of UK has just been updated, "urging UK citizens to leave China if they can"...

"The British Consulates-General in Wuhan and Chongqing are currently closed. If you’re in China and able to leave, you should do so. The elderly and those with pre-existing medical conditions may be at heightened risk ...

Some airlines, including British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, have announced a suspension of flights to and from mainland China. Other commercial airlines are still operating, but it may become harder to access departure options over the coming weeks."

www.theguardian.com/[...]

You can follow the FCO on their Twitter account: @FCOtravel

EddyC (36 posts) • 0

France also advises French citizens to leave China.

Post by New York Times last night at 9:45pm:

"France’s government has joined Britain in warning against any non-essential travel to China and suggesting that all of its citizens in China leave while the new virus is still spreading.

The Foreign Ministry issued the travel warning Tuesday based on measures taken by Chinese authorities, and on “the evolution of the epidemic.”

It said France’s embassy and consular services in China will continue to help French people who decide to stay in China."

www.nytimes.com/[...]

Related forum threads

Login to post