@satii: "Are you back yet JanJal? Your warm donuts and hot shower await."
If all goes well, we will return to Kunming in Saturday tomorrow. Hot shower after 6 weeks without sounds heavenly.
I'm not sure if regular bakeries are open yet, or decently stocked. Happen to know about Just Hot?
Get ready for a marathon shower & doughnut binge, perhaps at the same time.
Haven't passed by Just Hot as of late, so I can't be certain.
But in case they're closed, other Kunming bakery chains like Jiahua Bakery sell donuts, as do Carrefour bakery. The ones that Homer Simpson likes to eat. Can't be overly picky during an outbreak, now can we?
Bon Appétit seems to be well stocked, though lots of empty containers at Holiland Bakery. Bread Works also open. Latter three bakeries don't seem to have donuts, unfortunately.
Still, an upgrade from your chickens and survivor piggy.
Just got is open all over since early..
And there you have it. Even Just Hot donuts can be crowdsourced.
Have a safe return home today with 'pig' mother-in-law. ;)
I went downtown earlier this week for the first time since the outbreak began and was surprised at how much it felt like a ghost town, as compared to a couple of residential neighborhoods I have been in where things have returned to a partial semblance of normality. Half or more of stores downtown were still shuttered and foot traffic was very light, especially in shopping areas.
Some other observations:
- Malls were open but their big stores like Uniqlo were virtually deserted.
- Some restaurants are open but for take-out only - seating areas are cordoned off. A number of people were eating their lunch on benches outside. The informal rule seems to be that you can take off your mask so long as you're sitting down and eating.
- Ordering at Burger King was via WeChat app only. The stations at the counter where you usually place your order were closed.
- Someone put masks on the faces of the bronze statues on Nanping Jie near Carrefour (the ones that people often pose for pictures with).
- There were lines of several dozen people outside some banks, presumably to limit mingling in the lobby.
- One woman who didn't have a mask was walking around holding a coat over her nose and mouth, which reminded me of this old Greenpeace ad: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZCmJgnB-d4
I just enjoyed Dunkin Donuts anda coffee. Back tomorrow morning.
herenow, thanks for the update.
bucko, back so soon? Safe journey tonight/after midnight/tomorrow morning.
More leads on surgical masks...
The Green Party is a lifestyle store on the second floor of Kunming's Golden Eagle Shopping Center (B annex) where Burger King used to be above Starbucks.
On their WeChat official account, they are selling 50 surgical masks for 125 rmb.
Prices used to be 95 rmb, but demand markup rose to 105, then 115... currently 125 cny.
For those in dire need of surgical masks, you could follow The Green Party WeChat and order online.
Lastly, don't get complacent with hand hygiene and mask donning. The fight is ongoing.
Wife just checked the Green Party offer, and told me that the delivery would be only after March 22. So don't know if "dire need" is applicable here.
Another lead for surgical mask acquisition in less time. Kunming pharmacy chain Yi Xin Tang (一心堂) have been offering 5rmb surgical masks (supposedly imported from abroad). 2 pieces limit for each person, and ID must be presented. Buyers have to first register with the pharmacy then wait for perhaps one week or so for shipment arrival. Ask the Yi Xin Tang pharmacist about this next time you or your wife pass by them.
Masks: Understanding that wearing masks is required and is a good practice, the efficacy of masks depends on how well they fit. The better the mask fits the more effective.
BTW, there is a shortage of masks in the US as it seems they are produced largely in China. CDC officials are saying masks should be reserved for medical personnel. Trump has mentioned the US has a supply of 33 million masks on hand.
On Amazon: "3M Particulate Respirator 8210, N95, Smoke, Dust, Grinding, Sanding, Sawing, Sweeping, 20/Pack," is $300 USD or $15 each for a "one use" mask.