GoKunming Forums

New Coronavirus

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

They want to be able to track where you've been and where you are. The businesses will have their QR that you scan. Especially places where there's big gatherings like supermarkets,factories,wet markets, etc.

EddyC (36 posts) • 0

Thanks Liu.

After you scan the WeChat barcode, this notice appears prior to SMS verification:

" , 对手 , , , !"

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

My wife told me they would be scanning ids.

She may have misunderstood (not unusual), or that may be an alternative for people who don't have a smart phone.

I guess we'll find out later if there are options.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

WHO has given an official name to the virus: The coronavirus has been officially named

‘COVID-19’

“We had to find a name that did not refer to a geographical location, an animal, an individual or group of people.”

Trumpster (84 posts) • +2

All public places in Yunnan are now required to use your WeChat account scan a APP QR CODE (the circular kind) for entrance and exit as of this afternoon.

One major problem that I see is the collection and usage of the data. For the virus tracking and containment to be effective, every person's every movement needs to be logged, if the tracking is incomplete then it defeats the purpose. Problems with this can already be seen. First, not everyone has a WeChat account, the elderly and the young comes to mind. Second, it is too easy to bypass the checkpoint as the store clerks lack training and is simply overwhelmed by the sheer number of people. I have witnessed first hand, shoppers walking in without scanning dispite being requested/ordered to do so.

With regards to data collected, how is the data being protected from third party usage and/or non authorized usage within the government. What's to prevent this in-program app from becoming a tool of big brother?

There are too many questions left unasked, let alone answered. When all is said and done, this is one big exercise of the blind leading the blind.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

The WeChat scanning is not reinforced as yet I noticed. At the local market there is just a table standing with the circular scan thing for ingoing and outgoing customers.

But nobody is enforcing it. This might change because it was only rolled out today.

At my in-laws compound they had it as well but waved me through with a smile, o the louway that frequently comes here; a form of white privilege because others got stranded outside the gate and complained why they let the foreigner in and not them.

Only took my temperature.

Coming back to my own compound they had the code thing but entering was no different than normal.

DanDare (141 posts) • 0

Changes in the way they diagnose and report, backdated to Feb 7 perhaps. Not a jump in actual cases, apparently.

From the Guardian
"...I mentioned earlier that Hubei authorities had begun including cases diagnosed through new clinical methods from Thursday in its daily figures...

...Chinese state media said last week that Hubei would start recognising computerised tomography (CT) scan results as confirmation of infections, allowing hospitals to isolate patients more quickly.

There was a suggestion that from 7 February, people who had tested positive but showed no symptoms, were not counted as confirmed cases. It has been very difficult to pin down the exact changes, and I’ll try to do that today...

But from my reading, it’s likely that this huge jump in new confirmed cases reflects an adjustment of calculations, rather than a massively steep increase in actual new cases. "
www.theguardian.com/[...]

Related forum threads

Login to post