GoKunming Forums

New Coronavirus

lemon lover (1006 posts) • +1

The article states:

Advocate every family to appoint one family member every two days to go out to purchase living materials. Minimize out-going activities, pay attention to personal hygiene, take good care of self-health, wash hands frequently, wear face masks, do not visit, do not party, do not believe rumors, do not spread rumors, strengthen information registration and health management, maintain a rational and scientific attitude and a positive attitude Mentality, bring together love and wisdom into a magnificent force to overcome the epidemic, and take care of our beautiful home together.

m.toutiaocdn.com/[...]

Thus not mandatory.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I was referring to this line as speculation. "Of course even if advisory, it's possible that some individuals in position to try enforcing it will take it as mandatory."

Trumpster (84 posts) • +1

Here is the link: (in Chinese)

www.km.gov.cn/c/2020-02-05/3277452.shtml

An article on a city government's official website has no legal bearing other than to act as an public service announcement much like the various embassies' advisory telling their citizens to leave China. Official edicts are written on an official red letterhead stamped with an document number.

However, as stated above, in many cases many zealous bureaucrats and volunteer forces will interpret wishes as commands. Many xiaoqus are already enforcing temperature checks for anyone to enter, some are even requiring proof of residence before allowing entrance. It wouldn't be much of a stretch for them to start logging which units have ventured out and prohibiting exit if it has been deemed to be too frequent.

EddyC (36 posts) • 0

Thank you Liu123, lemon, Trumpster, and tiger for helping out. Apologies if my interpretation/translation may not be perfectly clear cut. My understanding is that this protocol will go into effect tomorrow, whether "advisory" or not. Again, I'm prone to mistakes. So take my posts with grain of salt, and without panic. Would not want to cry wolf.

Another restriction not yet stated on this website is the rationing and registration for OTC medicine like cough syrups, fever reduction meds, and antibiotics throughout pharmacies in Kunming.

Again, please help verify. This could be important for expats who may need to procure them.

Nice to have more members involved to help seek out and verify these type of local news relevant to us in relative, real time.

EddyC (36 posts) • +1

Below is a recommended source for GoK researchers and members (or Chinese partners) with strong Chinese literacy.

FM954 is a Kunming radio broadcast station, mouthpiece for the city government. They have a Douyin account which are quick to update viewers on the latest info in town. Much speedier news transmission than traditional websites.

For example, I've uploaded 4 screenshots to imgur:

imgur.com/a/jkOIPP6

These Douyin clips are difficult to translate.

They advise (or give mandates) on several points such as weddings, funerals, and community housing disinfection, etc., in Kunming.

Also, food delivery services such as Meituan or Elema are not permitted to use the elevator, but to place food outside for the customers. They aren't permitted to come in contact with customers during food package exchange.

Moreover, the Douyin screenshot seems to suggest the above mentioned one person household grocery trip (once every two days) is more than just an advisory suggestion. A stronger tone.

herenow (357 posts) • 0

Regarding the advice in Kunming to limit household grocery trips to every other day, it appears that other cities have already taken this to the next level. The following about Zhejiang is from Inkstone:

"In at least four major cities, with a combined population of more than 30 million, only one member of a family is allowed to go out every two days. Some households are issued a passport-like document and are required to carry it with them to buy groceries or take a walk outside."

The whole article is worth reading: www.inkstonenews.com/[...]

EddyC (36 posts) • 0

"Australian PM 'strongly suggests' citizens take commercial flights out of China if possible.

'Australians and immediate family members. If you are there, then there are still commercial flights coming out of China, mainland China to Australia and I strongly suggest you avail yourself of those. The government cannot guarantee that similar types of assisted flights would be able to be put on in the future either into the mainland or Wuhan.'”

(posted 10 minutes ago)

www.theguardian.com/[...]

Canada's take on this matter:

"Avoid non-essential travel

There are specific safety and security concerns that could put you at risk. You should reconsider your need to travel to the country, territory or region. If you are already in the country, territory or region, you should reconsider whether or not you really need to be there. If not, you should consider leaving while it is still safe to do so. It is up to you to decide what “non-essential travel” means, based on family or business requirements, knowledge of or familiarity with a country, territory or region, and other factors."

travel.gc.ca/destinations/china

Related forum threads

Login to post