GoKunming Forums

Excess luggage cost/maximum?

_shara_ (98 posts) • 0

hello, I'm planning to fly Sydney Kunming then Kunming Jinghong in Feb.
Probably I will take China Eastern from Kunming to Jinghong.
I'm likely to have around 60kg of luggage, does anyone know what the approximate cost for excess luggage is? ... also is there a limit, are they likely to just say sorry 60kg is too much?
Thanks!! :)

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • 0

There may be limits, it sometimes depends on how busy the flight is.

You need to check with the airline. One thing to consider if you are flying straight through, see if you can buy a single ticket.
If you know you will be flying with China Eastern, contact them to see if they have a pre-booked excess baggage facility. If they do, this will be much cheaper to pre-buy it. Also some airlines have a generous limit, or none at all, on laptop bags; a good place to stash a couple of heavy books.
Whatever your strategy, it is a good idea to see if both airlines have similar luggage limits. I have heard of people being caught out, even on through tickets, where airlines have a different baggage allowance.
If you are going to transit in Kunming for a few days, it would be worth posting on things using China post, to an address in Jinhong. Be aware that prohibited items for posting include (I believe) books, CD/DVD/cassette tapes, electronics, among other things. They will sell you boxes in the PO, and they want you to at least seal the box in the PO so that they can see what you are sending.
A coat with deep pockets, and inside pockets, can be used to carry small heavy items, including books, candy, etc. I think my record is 7kg of pocket items. I got some funny looks going through x-ray, but it is legal.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Another consideration for excess baggage is the weight of each piece.

60kg in 1 piece would be a back breaker.

Spread over 3 would be manageable.
Some airlines have limits on the max weight of a single item.

_shara_ (98 posts) • 0

@tigertigerathome thank you! good idea, I will probably be in Kunming at least one day and know how to get to the post-office so could definitely do that!
@AlPage48, yeah that's true, I think Qantas is 30kg weight limit.

Anyway, thank you both, I've just found the Qantas excess baggage charges from Syd to Kmg might mean I have to send things by courier anyway, it looks like it might be $35 per kilo for that part of the trip, which would end up being more than the return ticket price for the excess luggage.

Related forum threads

Login to post