GoKunming Forums

Air quality

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • +1

The air quality in our area has taken a dive tonight. This is in Dianchi area near XiShan, due to local wood burning. It is not showing up on the AQI yet, for Xishan Forest Park, but we have had to close the windows and bring the washing in early. It is the same every year when the cold weather arrives.
If you are asthmatic, etc. you may notice it a bit more tonight.

satii (82 posts) • 0

Are you sure wood, not trash or paper money burning? If so, please explain why they (or whom) would burn wood.

Edit: nevermind, to keep warm, duh.

Bamei (36 posts) • 0

"local wood burning". What do you mean? People using wood stoves in your location or wildfires burning in the neighbourhood (The local wood burning)?

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • +1

Woodsmoke, definately, I am not sure of the wood, but I think it is eucalyptus. The smell of burning trash is different. I am not even sure if burning wood is still legal in Kunming, but hey......
Probably open fires to keep warm. I doubt for cooking as that would be an all year round source of smoke.
It happens every year when the cold snap arrives. We are on the urban fringe here, and there are still villages near us.
The other thing could be if one of the neighboring counties is burning forest trash (not garbage), as happened last year. But the cold weather would be a bit of a coincidence.

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • 0

I just checked aqicn.org. It is quite a bit higher than earlier today. It has jumped from under 70 to over 100 in the last few hours. Jinding mountain is over 170.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

At least in smaller side roads in city you can frequently see people burning discarded wooden construction material for some warmth. Often near store fronts nearby newish (but not the newest) development projects.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • +1

It's not unusual to see parking attendants who sit outside all day long, having a can with a wood fire for a bit of warmth.

satii (82 posts) • 0

Agree with AlPage. Those old furniture wood scrapes they burn may contain lots of moldy allergen spores released airborne. I'm guessing.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

What do people suggest parking attendants and security guards (who survive on pitiful wages) do to keep warm in the winter?

Related forum threads

Login to post