GoKunming Forums

Music/ Musicians in Kunming

miealex (46 posts) • +1

Hey,

I’ve been living here a while and haven’t really experienced the music scene in Kunming.

I play guitar/drums/bass/ vocals. I enjoy many styles of music but particularly enjoy funk/ rnb or anything with a good groove.

If anyone if looking for someone to play their music or knows of anywhere so can meet like-minded people. Let me know. Thanks in advance.

Ishmael (462 posts) • +1

Visit weekly open mic nights and jams at various locations - see gokunming calendar. Tonight, for instance: Mgong Loi Mux Bar ('the railroad bar', formerly called Lehuo) on Dianmiandadao near where RR tracks cross it. 10 pm. Bring yr axe.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +1

There's a music chat group on WeChat. It's called KM Musicians.

Max313 (7 posts) • +1

I'm new in town and I play guitar - definitely love the RnB, funk flavors as well.

The Turtle bar is definitely a good spot on Tuesdays, the tracks bar on Mon/Wed (I think) and Xian Ke (sp?) on Sunday nights for places to jam & meet.

Come on out tonight to hear some great stuff at the Turtle!!

miealex (46 posts) • 0

Thanks guys, lots of good info here. Just seeing it now so I won't make it tonight but it definitely sounds like there's a lot going on.

Ishmael (462 posts) • +1

There are live music gigs and musicians at the Turtle and at Humdinger every night of the week, both places considerably larger than a breadbox, easy to find.
Perhaps you're not aware that this was the original home of the infamous Smegariot, as well as the Quebec Redneck Bluegrass Project?
Max, Miealex: It's Xiangke (pinyin).

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +1

What's your WeChat ID? I think I can add you if you send it to me. You can use the personal msg facility if you don't want to publish it

dolphin (509 posts) • 0

Do you play don Henley?

Every night it’s the same ol’ crowd in smoky rooms ...

Related forum threads

Login to post