Wonders Of Yunnan Travel


Processing time for student visa in Chiangmai

greenrizla (15 posts) • 0

Hello all
I'm sure this has been asked before so apologies! I searched and couldn't find recent info.

I am applying for a student visa. I have paid the tuition and have been sent the acceptance letter by the school (in Suzhou, Jiangsu).
I was sent by the school to Macao to process the student visa. On arrival in Macao the Dept Foreign Affairs informed me that I now need a JW202 for even short term study. (The acceptance letter is for 6 months). This represents a very recent (less than a month) change of policy in Macao. The school was unaware of this and cannot provide a JW202. My current visa expires in 8 days so naturally I am freaking out.

I now think going to Chiangmai is perhaps my best option. So I have a few questions .

1) Can one currently

process a student visa without JW202 in Chiangmai?

2) Re Contact Do they ever answer the phone? Or is email a good method?

3) How long does it take? Do they really do an express service?

4) Can you get an agency to do the job? If so how much and can anybody recommend a

reliable agency?

Thanks for any help!

Ishmael (462 posts) • +1

I don't know what a JW202 is, but a friend of mine, American, got a student visa in Chiangmai recently - within the past month. Took about 2 weeks. Best method is to go to the Chinese Consulate in Chiangmai in person, I think.

JanJal (1073 posts) • +2

Is this a new requirement?

"For international students, it’s necessary to find an organization accredited for offering courses or internships to foreigners so that they will send a JW201 or JW202 form and an admission letter."

"The JW201 or JW202 form should be obtained through the school you are to enroll at. JW201 form is issued to international students dispatched by government or funded by Chinese government scholarships while JW202 is for self-sponsored foreign students."

Source: www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/student.htm

greenrizla (15 posts) • 0

For short term study it hasn't been required by HK or Macao. Every embassy/consulate seems diff. The woman in Macao DFA told me this was less than a moth old policy there

Ishmael (462 posts) • +1

I'd question the school that says they can't provide the document. Seems to me they ought to be able to send it to you, wherever you are.

greenrizla (15 posts) • 0

Yeah my Chinese friend who has worked in a language school for years

and is also part-owner

says it is true.

I'm off to Chiangmai tmrw so I will find out very soon.

Login to post Register to post