GoKunming Forums

Kunming vs. Athens

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • -2

Yeah Nelson Mandela was well known to be terrible for bitching.

JanJal (1243 posts) • -2

Indeed. Gandhi too. Goes to show, that people without political rights generally bitch more if given the slightest opportunity - regardless of reasons why they lack the rights.

Wars have been fought over that.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • -1

Janjal, my take on it is post colonial, theres this subtile post colonialism and racism in the expat mentality. A psychological control when u are outside the comfort zone, linked to colonial past. Thats why I like John walker Lind, he wasnt bitchin even in afghnistan. Not sitting in starbucks on sukhumvit, reading bangkok post, and bitchin that the thai military asks u to show ur passport at demand. Nah, he took bullets with the taliban.

JanJal (1243 posts) • -1

Agreed, but I think that the post colonial attitude only equals the face value of the "bitch for free card" that I mentioned.

I makes it cheaper to bitch, but otherwise the reasons for bitching may be as real (even if different) as for the locals.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • -2

everyone bitches, not post colonial only. that is why there is revolushions. the greeks are bitching right now, and italians, turks, yanks, rusians, ukrains, etc.

Oops, i realize i start to sound like a prententious modern 'motally superior' lefty, got nausea from that - cant delete it anymore.

Apologises.

Thank u cloudy. As a morally superior mentor, anything u say is guidance.

Please also keep enlightening us in the future.

@d

Bali is disneyland of indonesia. Java is the soul. Balis function is to lure all expats and tourists to one island. Come on, in the 1930's expats there were already complaining it was crowded with foreigners and feeling fake.

If u are so stupid u choose bali, u deserve it, and also deserve all calamities in life that may fall upon you.

dolphin (509 posts) • 0

Depends what you’re looking for. Seems to me what you’re looking for doesn’t exist or is futile to search for. You want what. To go native? To go somewhere untainted where no other foreigner has ever set foot? Why? for bragging rights that you are the first foreigner to ever go there? I’d rather live in Bali than Kunming because they have the sea and they have an interesting culture. Human beings need to learn to appreciate nature a bit more. The sea is magnificent. When you go there, maybe put down your New York Times and stop plotting a coup d’etat for 15 minutes and learn to appreciate its magnificence.

Bali is as close to paradise as it gets. But people like you are not satisfied unless you are king of the universe, right? it’s never enough. Always complaining about everything. Misanthropic, cynical, jaded, frustrated, miserable.

Problem is you, not Bali.

Now you are wishing me misfortune because you are horrible human being and I am no longer interacting with you.

Related forum threads

Login to post