Traffic Commute Time Index 40.00

Moderate
Pollution Index 52.67

Moderate

Quality of Life Index: 140.30

High

Kunming Wins!

hermit (48 posts) • 0

Athens; because Thessaloniki's heat and pollution didn't kill you first..

Peter99 (1246 posts) • -3
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

Its good it says like that. Its also good they show only news about riots, economic problems, refugees, hot weather and serial killers.

Would be horrible if the ”expats” discovered Athens. Hardly any english here either, they go to costa del sol, claim it as their territority, and hate life there too.

But why dont you go to Georgia, dolphin, and let us know how it is there? Then hang around here (gokunming) like I do, and maybe - now and then - praise the women of Georgia, and maybe write about some great fishing trips in unpolluted mountain rivers? Kunming is over, years ago already. But man was it good when it was. Maybe best city in the world at one point. Best years around year 2000-2006, but since around olympics it went down, and fast. Now its unliveable.

dolphin (509 posts) • +3

You must be in Greece for real because only 2 people outside that area have ever heard of Georgia. If it’s unpolluted, it’s probably because there are no jobs in the area.

Yep, grumpy old expats. I was in Thailand and I got up at the crack of dawn to have breakfast and I thought this is bliss man. Having brekkie by the sea. Open air, sea breeze, cup o joe. Then lo and behold, a bunch of disgruntled expats come and sit near me and bitch about Thai politics.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +1

yep. grumpy old expats. i was sitting down with my co ffee this morning and the same old expat, who aint even in kunming no more, is still bitchin about the place. sad

dolphin (509 posts) • 0

I ain’t bitchin’.
The site portrays Kunming very positively compared to a European city. It gets a high score.
I bitch about home too ... just not on here.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

@d

The expats in thailand have been bitchin about the thai politics ever since the first expat settled there. Its part of the expat thing,

major issues even in Spain. And not a corner in Thailand where u can escape it. Eastern thailand is somewhat "light expat", except those areas where yankees had bases. Better to fly over Thailand and land in Indonesia instead. (not Bali). Hanoi is fairly okay too, its somewhat chaotic for the expat thing to set root there. Kolkata is great, you wont find any "expats" there. Reality uncut, you need to draw leather around ur heart to deal with Kolkata. Expats havent found Athens either, but the Chinese have. The materialist type, from Zhejiang. Doesnt fit in among the graffitti, and the free creativity taking place. Greece doesnt really understand what it flirted with.

dolphin (509 posts) • 0

i Don’t think I would be able to stomach Kolkata. I read people from Bali are artistic. Am I supposed to avoid the place because of grumbling expats? Take care.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

My take on bitching about polititics is that politics is all about bitching, and therefore such bitching is just a take on politics.

It's not something that exists outside politics as reaction to it, but is part of it.

It often just gets amplified among expats who in many cases without local political rights do not have means to actually do anything about it (even the little that locals may have). It gives us a sort of "bitch for free" card.

These persons would bitch in their home cuntries too, although for some that bitching may just take form of backing their packs and getting out. Voting with their feet, but still voting.

Related forum threads

Login to post