GoKunming Forums

Aubergine street snack

oliver701 (2 posts) • 0

Hi! I visited Kunming earlier this year, and really enjoyed a particular late-night street snack. It was basically half an aubergine cut lengthways and grilled, and then covered with a mix of peppers and minced pork, plus some other stuff that i don't remember. I want to try to recreate this at home (Hong Kong), just wondering if anyone knows what this snack is called or has a recipe. Thanks!

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

sounds like you're describing shaokao qiezi 烧烤茄子. or i guess siuhao ngaigua 烧烤矮瓜 if you wanna go Canto-stylee on that.

the only big ingredient you're missing is garlic, i think. they put the aubergine on the grill whole, until the skin has darkened all over, and the insides gone mushy. then you split it as you describe, scramble up the mushy insides and add in the other ingredients. i'm pretty sure the pork mince goes on already cooked, as i doubt it can cook thoroughly on top of the aubergine. the other stuff goes on chopped small. i'd salt it a little too to help the stuff to sweat their juices. you wait a bit for it to cook, and then munch it.

i reckon you can prolly do a pretty good version of this at home, especially if you have access to a BBQ, but i reckon it might take a little experimentation before you nail the taste precisely. i've seen it done on a Japanese-style metal grill, so i guess that means a wok or frying pan will suit too.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

That's Shaokao Qiezi. There are a lot of variations, but the basics are simple. Just as Hedgepig said, cook it whole on the grill. Make sure you get the long skinny "Japanese eggplant", and try to buy one with really dark purple skin.
Cook it whole until it's mushy. Then, slice it down the middle (not in half), and make sure you cut it up inside against the grain (best with scissors).
Basic ingredients seem to be:
- minced pork, usually fried with hot peppers
- garlic
- cilantro leaves

You can also make some cool variations with stuff like the fermented tofu paste (fu lu), different meats, even Mexican salsa.

oliver701 (2 posts) • 0

thanks, that's genius! can't wait to make it at home. Now I just need to get some mainland beer to complete the experience ;)

Related forum threads

Login to post