GoKunming Forums

Africans in Kunming??

Flexx (1 post) • 0

Hello everyone.! I’m really skeptical about how the life in kunming is especially to Africans because this is the first time am hearing about the city. Could anyone tell me if there are africans living in kunming?

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

There's maybe a couple of thousand including north Africans and Egyptians. Not many in a city of several million. Certainly doesn't compare with other cities like Beijing, Nanjing, and of course Guangzhou.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I've been here 13 years and in those years I have seen a total of about 30 africans/blacks, etc. So in my opinion you will not find a community of Africans.

dolphin (509 posts) • -2

I’ve seen maybe one or two, but I don’t get out much.
Surprised tiger doesn’t have the precise numbers.

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

Awhile back a few francophone Africans hung out at the French Cafe on Wenlinjie, & I've met a few English speaking West Africans at Salvador's. Someone who used to post on here is from Namibia, I think - anyway, southern Africa. And a Moroccan; and 2-3 South Africans at the now-extinct DT Bar, one of whom has, I think, left town.

Lanajot (61 posts) • +2

There are quite a number of African students studying at the University of Finance and Economics. We know one lady from Lesotho and one from Botswana who study there. We’re from South Africa and love inviting African friends over for dinner.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

I don't frequent to places where foreigners gather (like ones mentionedy by Ishmael above), or generally mingle with other foreigners.

And my experience with this lifestyle is, that it's almost equally likely to meet someone from Africa as it is to meet someone from Americas or Europe.

In my own housing block of the (three) foreign faces I frequently see there is me from Europe, one guy from USA, and one guy from Africa. A few blocks away there seems to be a Russian family.

If I extrapolate from this neighbourhood across Kunming, and include all the students, then @cloudtrapezer's comment about 2000ish may not be far off.

Excluding students and temp visitors, I'd go for 500.

Related forum threads

Login to post