GoKunming Forums

Respraying a bike frame

miealex (46 posts) • 0

Hey guys,

This is really a shot in the dark and I doubt there will be but.... any ideas about where I could get my bike frame resprayed?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

Most areas have a little backstreet workshop that does cheap car repairs, in fact some are not even on the backstreets, but are in the small commercial units on the streets outside residential area. You can usually see cars outside with body filler, and sometimes you can even smell the paint solvents.

These places would probably be cheap as they will used the end of a can of paint being used on a car repair.

There are also commercial areas that specialize in auto parts and repair. There is one on the north side of Rixing Zhong Lu, a little east of JingGuang Lu. This is quite a big auto parts area, several blocks. There are possibly paint shops here

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +2

As slight asides.

Hand painted bikes needed not look shabby and are less likely to get stolen, because they are harder to fence. Especially if they look hand painted, or are a bit ugly.
If you buy a cheap bike, it is not worth spending money on a custom paint job.

vera@gokunming (16 posts) • -1

The trickiest part of bike repainting is stripping off the old paint and sandblasting the frame clean. The paint stripper is super dirty so not sure if that also happens in the city. The sandblasting has to be done well so that the new layer of paint will stick. Be sure to get a coat of anti rust as well, and maybe an extra protective layer over the paint. Another thing to consider is that you have to take care not to fill the grooves of threaded bits. If you go to a specialized bike painter they will take the bike apart and put it back together again, which is a sure way to know that they won't fill up the threads with paint. I would recommend keeping an eye on the job if you get it done here at one of the car repair shops to prevent this.

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

As tiger mentioned, nice-looking bikes are more likely to get stolen.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

If I was going to get it done (big if), I would strip the bike down to the bare frame myself and use foam ear plugs in all of the small screw holes to protect the threads. I would mask any bigger holes with rags and tape. I would then take the bare frame in to the paint shop.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • -1

I think the correct answer to the original question is: within 100 metres radius of wherever you are.

Related forum threads

Login to post