GoKunming Forums

Relaxing the requirements?

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Maybe it's just the urgency of it all. I think it's getting harder and harder to fill these teaching positions.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

The visa requirements don't allow for urgency, and a work visa is on offer here. Last month there was a guy coming to work here with no TEFL and a visa was on offer.

It makes me wonder if it has become too hard to fill vacancies generally, and the visa authorities have had to throttle back.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

You might be right. Recently I have seen many two child parenting. My guess

is that has been a boom for the ESL schools. More kids equals more competition to stand out.

herenow (357 posts) • +1

One the one hand, continually increase the visa requirements.

On the other hand, continually decrease the appeal of the place.

Sooner or later, something has to give.

jj123 (100 posts) • +2

My guess would be that the school and/or agent are not operating by the letter of the law.

There are many workarounds that these schools/agents can do that still may allow a work visa.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

Since when was anything more than a degree required? Genuine question.

kurtosis (86 posts) • +1

I personally know many unqualified English teachers here, but I'm not familiar how this works visa-wise. I never taught English, I'm not even a native speaker, but I've been approached numerous times for English teaching positions in China. Education business here really seems to be in desperate need of teaching staff.

Is there even extra pay for the TEFL certificate nowadays? If so, why don't people just do an online TEFL certificate?

john-doe1983 (70 posts) • +1

Most of these places are operating as a consulting company, they get visa's from agencies that are tied to a shell company and hire teachers illegally, you are not allowed to work anywhere EXCEPT at the company on your visa and within the scope of your position, not part time on the side, no loaning you out to a different location, they are very strict about this. As far as I am aware a work visa is not enough you also need to apply for an expert certificate to be employed as a teacher and also from an English speaking country. Anyone applying for these types of jobs need to be very careful. Plus any company that can hire foreigners legally need to have a registration number (I can't remember the exact name for this) that can be checked with the local authorities.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

@Kurtosis. The jobs that pay extra for, and insist upon, a TEFL cert don't usually accept online TEFL. I think online TEFL did not qualify as a recognized qualification for Foreign Expert Certificates in the past, and it may still be the case. I stand to be corrected.
I had an online TEFL certificate, and later went on to do a CELTA. The two are totally unequal. The TEFL online bicycle vs the CELTA automobile. Both will get you from A to B, just add experience.

Related forum threads

Login to post