GoKunming Forums

Short term storage help

mcs123mcs (2 posts) • +1

Hi everyone, I will be away from Kunming for 9 months while renewing Visa. Have a bookshelf and a 6-8 med/large boxes, small bike. Seeking to rent a storage space. I have seen the past 10 years of forum posts about storage--some outdated by now. Any leads or ideas for storage in KM?

Thanks for any help.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

I'm also curious if there are commercial storage space providers in Kunming. Preferably professional thing, that comes with insurance policies and stuff.

In my home country, where we have no high rises and less cars to take space, apartment blocks usually have the basement level reserved for storage space for this kind of purposes. Obviously not possible here.

Basically I'd just like to tidy up our apartment from all the crap that is out of season or otherwise on hold

- without renting another apartment to do it.

goldie122 (645 posts) • +2

I have never heard of these places in Kunming, although I have rented space in a storage locker when I was in Shenzhen.

It was called Locker Locker.

We rented an elevator sized

space and it cost 300+ per month.

JanJal (1243 posts) • -1

I'm thinking that in China this could be a form of shared economy.

A company that provides durable and secure lockers for a cost, and sources the space for them from private individuals with free space in their apartments (or developers with unsold apartments), who would then also get revenue from their otherwise unused space.

As a consumer of this system, I would not have to know where my locker is at any given time (though tracking could be technically arranged too), just that it is safe, and would be delivered to me on a few days notice when I need. I could take something out or refill, and send it on it's way again.

Of course in this model the lockers should fit in elevators for convenient transport, so cannot store anything big.

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

Well, surely something should be done with these empty-apartments-bought-as-investments that are cluttering the skyline for somebody's profit.

ricsnapricsnap (193 posts) • 0

Hi mcs123mcs

I also need to store my things for about 2 months from mid-July. Space required would be less than 2 sq. meters.
Have you found a solution yet?

Thanks.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

The only solution I've found that exists in Kunming is to actually either rent a room or an apartment, depending on how much stuff you have.

Alternatives are load all your stuff into a shipping container, then try to leave it at the railyard as a form of shipping - but haven't tried that option.

Related forum threads

Login to post