GoKunming Forums

Hong-kong to Kunming by train

habibi (6 posts) • 0

The fast train G312/314 running from Hong-Kong where I stay near. I just wondering how they going to check your visa. There is only 6 minutes stop in Shenzen and that's all. Are foreigners allowed to travel by train to mainland?

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

It was quite a big controversy in some (HK) media, how the terminal in HK soil is considered "mainland territory" for the particular purpose, with mainland officials handling the immigration process there.

_shara_ (98 posts) • 0

Wow, that's great. Is it new? I always used to catch the plane to HK then go across the border to Shenzhen to catch the train. Is it expensive?

Ishmael (462 posts) • +1

Around 600 kuai, takes around 6 hours - do a search, ctrip. The trains are really good and comfortable and with the train there's less of the real-serious impersonal blank-face you-might-be-a-criminal thing at search customs ticket immigration that happens at airports way out of town before you pollute the skies with burning jet fuel. Plus you don't have to sit scrunched up and can look out the window and see something.
However, I could never seem to make a reservation for a train Kunming-Hong Kong online for some reason, although return from Hong Kong-Kunming was easily done. Going to HK I'd get off at Shenzhen North, take the underground to the border, cross through (no hassle) and get on the HK commuter train, all pretty much in the same station.

Related forum threads

Login to post