GoKunming Forums

Wikipedia gone

Ishmael (462 posts) • -1

Nothing like a good brain freeze to whip everybody into line.
But note: it has never worked for long.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

In the past it's come and gone. I guess this time it may be gone for good. Who knows?

JanJal (1243 posts) • -1

Might be only temporarily to prevent access to information about something that happened in some square some years ago.

fanghuo (14 posts) • 0

I noticed the blockage back in late April. Prevented me from looking stuff up while traveling, a real pain. Was wondering how long it would take to show up on these forums.

Ishmael (462 posts) • +1

In the past it seemed that, without a VPN, I could not read some Wikipedia articles but could read others; but I just tried to read the Wiki on the lifetime of black holes and couldn't. (my first thought: doubtless astronomy, physics and cosmology are politically sensitive subjects? no, then I got the info I wanted from another site, also non-Chinese. So they must think Wiki's take on black holes is downright Wrong, uncivilized, morally corrupting, dangerous to the Chinese people, or maybe would hurt their feelings).
I wish Chinese university students the best of luck, now and in the funny future.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

Wikipedia may well be gone for good this time. I've noticed students being encouraged to use Baidu Baike (even before the ban). Some people claim that it's an equivalent or alternative.

Related forum threads

Login to post