GoKunming Forums

insurance from home country

MissMary09 (2 posts) • 0

Hi, plz can someone advise me? My mum in the uk has been insisting that I need insurance from the uk in the event that I had an accident here, which put me into some kind of coma, which would mean I must be flown by in this state, to receive long term treatment in the uk. I do have medical insurance with the company here to cover accidents but it doesn't detail the number of days. I believe paying so much for uk insurance is unnecessary if I am entitled to treatment and even a funeral here with my temporary residence permit. I have been saying for a long time not to buy the uk insurance but I was wondering what other teachers were doing here?

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Cannot speak for UK specifically, but in my home country the common local insurances that most residents have, do not cover anything that would happen while living in China. Most tourists simply get equivalent travel insurance for the period of travel.

Those who go to China - or elsewhere - long term, get an international medical insurance from a globally operating private insurance company.

For example I have mine from AXA PPP, which is a UK company.

Personally I trust China's healthcare and the prices are not too costly for minor issues, but since I don't have local insurance (no employer here), and I also need insurance while not in China, I buy this.

In your case, probably your (I assume) Chinese insurance does not cover you while you are not in China, and if you for example visit back home UK, do you have any cover while there, or travelling on the way?

Related forum threads

Login to post