GoKunming Forums

Foreign children born in China and visas

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

@Goldie "different office tomorrow (same type office"

If I understood correctly, you first went to the PSB's Entry & Exit Office in Tuodong Lu.

And from there they directed you to another office, and so on - but were these other offices also specifically for Entry & Exit, or just PSB in general?

I don't even know what the hot potato is in this case, for the Chinese authorities - are they uncertain if you need to be fined or not, or is it past that and they don't know how to proceed with exit visas for the kids born in China.

(exit visas in this case meaning any paperwork, by whatever name, your younger kids may need to get out of China).

I have been assuming that the highest authority (non-political ayway) for Entry & Exit issues in Kunming would sit somewhere in the Tuodong Lu building.

If you were sent to random PSB offices (rather than offices related specifically to Entry & Exit), I suspect that you were sent there to figure out possible fines before exit visas can be arranged at Tuodong Lu. Based on your experience in those offices, I would assume their inability to do anything meaning no fines are needed.

I'm guessing you need to go back to Tuodong Lu office and explain that you went to office they requested, and then were directed to 3rd office, but nobody in either place could do anything.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • +1

I guess that the hot potato in this case is the police have not done their work and these three kids have not been registered and resident permits applied for. Of course it’s the parents who should have done this but it’s also the responsibility of the entry exit PSB and the local PSB where they were living to make sure the parents followed the law. I guess that the main problem now is which PSB office will being taking the responsibility for not doing their job properly.

But in the end it’s the exit entry PSB office that is the unit

to issue the resident permits to the 3 kids

to allow them to leave. So I would camp out there till they issue the permits.

goldie122 (645 posts) • 0

It has been frustrating and difficult cause Im dragging the kids around to these boring places where we just wait for hours.

But it has to be done.

At least 2 of the offices we went to were Exit/Entry.

The other may or may not have been.

It seems that the biggest problem is that they were all born in Qingdao and we spent most of our time in China in that city.

They said if we go back there, then it should be easily solved... I wonder if that is true.

We have only dealt with supervisors and top people in these places... we were always sent straight to these offices.

They often mull over the situation and paperwork for a couple hours and send us on our way.

I don't think they are too concerned about a fine, although one place told us there will be a fine... probably 2000 max per child.

I honestly think they don't know how to fix this.

They said we need to go back to Qingdao... its the law.

They also suggested we go back and register the kids.

Our first stop anywhere during this process was to go register them at the police station but when we went there, they said they couldn't do anything because their passports were empty... no entry stamps.

The Exit/Entry said to go back there and tell them they told us to go there and get them registration papers.

We did that today and got them registered.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

It is possible that this cannot be fixed in Kunming. A trip to Qingdao may be on the cards.

On problem is China is about jurisdictions (fiefdoms). One district will not have a mandate to work on issues that really belong in another.

Start planning for a trip to Qingsao at least. Check out the Chinese version of AirBnB (someone on here will know the name), as this will be cheaper than hotels. Unless you still have friends in Qingdao that you can stay with. That way if you have to go, you are ready to do so at the drop of a hat.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I agree.

I bet you will have better success in Qingdao. Your kids paperwork started there.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

If you can (very difficult to get anything in writing from the PSB) it would be good for you to have a statement from the Yunnan Exit and Entry PSB saying that you had visited them to register the kids but your case could not be dealt with by them and they need to be registered in Qingdao. Anyway at least when you are in Qingdao you will know that if they suggest you register them in Kunming you will know that that is not an option.

goldie122 (645 posts) • +2

I received a message today from Exit/Entry that my paperwork is being processed.

I am not sure what that means.

Now tomorrow is a holiday and then the weekend.

I think I will go back to Exit/Entry on Monday and show them the police registration and see what they say while hoping for a small miracle.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

That good news! There's hope! The fact that they said 'your paperwork is being processed' is a very good sign that somebody is following through. Too bad it

wasn't early in the week. Damn holidays! Ha.Ha. Good Luck!

goldie122 (645 posts) • +3

Called them on Monday afternoon and she said... give it another day, just after the holiday.... wait till tomorrow.

The next day I got the call late in the morning to come to the office... so we had to go after lunch at 2.  While there, after waiting half an hour, they gave us one paper... it was about me confessing to my crime and getting this written warning... I had to sign and fingerprint it.  We had to take that paper to the next place (one of the offices we had been to last week).

We went to the next place and there was hardly anybody there, no lines, no waiting.  The guy at the information desk told us where to go... the main supervisors office (we saw him last week).  He read my paper, made a couple phone calls and told us to go to 3rd floor for photos of the kids.  I had to fill out a form for each of them about visas and make copies of birth certs, passports, police registration and bring everything to a window.

The lady at the window asked us why didn't we get their passports/visas on time.... UUGGHH... told her the shortened version.  She checked everything, told us the visas will be ready in 7 working days!  So that's it.  We are getting them!  Finally.

Have to go back on the 20th and pick them up (160¥ each). 

But no fine either.
We will likely fly out on the 21st.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +1

Congrats! Be a captain of your destination. Let no man control you again. No excuses this time! Congrats again!

Related forum threads

Login to post