GoKunming Forums

Foreign children born in China and visas

goldie122 (645 posts) • 0

What would I speak to a lawyer about?

I have some family in the USA, but my parents are both deceased.

I have been in China for a long time, nearly 14 years, so unfortunately, I have lost touch with my other family members.

His family has been very supportive and are making it possible for us to return... I mean when I go back to the US I will have nothing... no credit, no car, no place to live, no job... and they will help me with all of that.

Otherwise, I don't know what I would do.

But here, I am alone and I have six kids.

This is just one of those things you would never imagine happening.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

Goldie
Evidence of physical presence is only required if ONE parent is a US citizen - if BOTH parents are US citizens - the clause is not applicable.

To get the kids passports - you'll first need to supply the death certificate or consulate provided "Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad" first - this is required for any parent requesting a passport or travel document for a minor. Hopefully the consulate will do these things for you at the same time.

Six kids and alone - it was tough enough for me, with only two.

Best wishes on your return and re-integration into US culture - being abroad for 14 years will be challenging. Happy to hear your late husband's family is supportive.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

@Goldie
I totally understand. I've been here for

13 years. I have

1 brother and 2 sisters

that are Jehovah's Witnesses and because I am not one (since I was about 18 years old. I'm 60 now) they shun me. I have nothing to go back to. At least you have family that will help you with a place to live, work,etc. You really are in a tight spot. You have 6 kids! Wow! Remember when things look bleak, there's always light at the end. There has to be some kind of 'organization' that can help. Maybe bringing the media to help you might be wise.Get in touch with one of the Kunming stations( I assume you speak Chinese pretty well). Perhaps your family can set up a 'go fund me' thing. I hope and I know that it will all work out. We are truly never alone if you know what I mean. Keep up posted please. Good Luck!

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

I wouldn't go to the media until I'd tried and failed to jump through all the required hoops, might just complicate things and I doubt it would be necessary.

@Ishmael. Yes!Yes!Yes! Only as a last resort. They can really be a plus depending on how your situation is portrayed.

dolphin (509 posts) • -3
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

Sorry I haven’t read the whole thread. Too busy. But the gist is you are screwed here and screwed if you go back to the US? Why not get a teaching job in the Middle East where your kids can get visas while you work and that should hold you off while you amasss some money? Ie neither A nor B?

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +1

Dear Goldie I am very sorry to hear of your predicament. Do your children have birth certificates? If you gave birth in hospital there should be

records of the births. I'm told that if you take these, with the children, to the US consulate in Chengdu, the consulate will arrange with the Chinese for the children to be given temporary travel documents so you can all go to America. I'm told the Chinese are unlikely to enforce fines even though the law allows for this possibility. I can't be certain of any of this of course. I wish you the best of luck.

goldie122 (645 posts) • 0

@cloudtrapezer... thank you for your post.

I do have their birth certificates.

When I go to the consulate tomorrow, I will ask them if they can help me in this way or really any way.

@Dolphin
Your comment was ridiculous. She has 6 children and no husband. Do you really think she can just pack up

the kids and go? Let alone go to another foreign country with 6 kids? Use your brain!
@goldie122
You will be alright. You'd be surprise how helpful people are especially when towing kids around.

As I said before, you are never alone.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • -1

you is assuming that dolphin isnt postsing in a drunken brain addled state, or even he has a brain

Related forum threads

Login to post