GoKunming Forums

Chinese driver's license

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

When I went to the centre I took a thumb drive, and they downloaded the document onto it for free.

You need to register for the test and then go back another day to take the test. I would try to get it in asap. With the shutdown, you don't know what the backlog for licenses will be like. Really the home licences just shows you can drive. The Chinese test is what will count.

lummerlaoshi (130 posts) • 0

Thanks for the reply tigertiger. However, the test centre is no longer giving out the English questions or any English test material (I just registered today for the test in 2 weeks). DOES ANYONE HAVE THE CURRENT TEST, paper or electronic? Send me a PM or write back here if you do asap as I only have 2 weeks to study (you have to book the test within the month).

Just an update: I passed the driving test but it took two times to do so. I actually bought the English questions on taobao for 300 rmb and studied the garbage English for 2 weeks. When I finally sat down to take the test, I found out the translation for the questions for the real test was completely different! I was so frustrated that I ended up getting 89/100, failing the first time. The second time (a few minutes later), I ignored the questions I had studied and use common sense to answer the questions. The second time I got 97! The translated English on the new real test is not bad and you can basically understand what they are trying to ask. As I had studied the theory through my bought question set, I was still able to pass so studying is still necessary. However, I recommend a better translation if you can find it.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Congratulations, you are now free to enjoy the traffic. I always carry at least two hundred rmb with you, stashed in the car.
I almost guarantee that you will make some small mistake, touch someone without damaging them, but if it is your fault and there is no cop to say 'no damage' they will expect compensation. The going rate seems to be 200rmb for everything in Kunming. In Zhengzhou it was only 50. It really isn't worth arguing, it takes too long, your blood pressure goes up and you screw up the traffic for everyone else, and you won't win. Worst case, the cop makes you pay them some compensation and you get an on the spot fine, the fine being 200rmb.

cerf-volant (5 posts) • 0

Hi,

Is it still possible, in Kunming, to get a Chinese driving licence while having only a 60 day tourist visa ? In Chengdu a 90 day visa is required.
Many thanks to whoever could provide an accurate and prompt answer.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

By the time you get the correct replies and you get all your documents ready your 60 days will probably be over. Not to mention Chinese New Year (CNY) just around the corner. I recommend you go to the office with someone who speaks chinese and get the answer straight from the horses mouth. To get a Chinese license you are required to turn in your current license. You will find the address and directions of the office above.

cerf-volant (5 posts) • 0

Thanks HFCampo, but I am now in Chengdu. I already have all the papers ready. What do you mean by "turn in" my current licence ?", you mean show it and eventually turn in a copy and a translation. One certainly cannot be asked to "turn in" one's national driving licence. Many thanks.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

NO, you must turn in - give - your current valid license in exchange for your new chinese license. Yes, you must provide copies but they will hold onto your license. They still have mine that I gave them over 9 years ago. Since you are in Chengdu, you can ask some expats and see if what I am saying is true.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

In the past you did have to hand over your drivers licence, mine is still in a PSB file somewhere. But since a few years ago in Kunming at least this is no longer the case.

But as each PSB does things differently you really need to ask in Chengdu.

In Kunming, you don't need to turn in your home country's license; you just need to get it officially translated and that's enough. My license was about to expire but the guys at the test centre didn't really look at the American license at didn't care about the expiration date.

Related forum threads

Login to post