GoKunming Forums

Chinese driver's license

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

If these 12 point rules were actually enforced, the majority of Kunming drivers would lose their license in just 1 day!

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

That last one (Failure to properly display license number plates) has me confused. When you buy a new car you can drive it for 30 days without even registering. Surely that is in contravention of the 12 point rule!

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@tabilia
Thanks - that was a great post!

@HFCAMPO
Thanks again for your post. I've been procrastinating getting my driver's license for over three years - ostensibly, so nobody can ask me to drive - call me selfish...I actually don't miss driving at all. Been car free for seven years (although a burden on friends, co-workers, relatives, etc).

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Actually I regret getting my licence.
I did it so that we could get a car and get away at weekends. We have been away twice in two years. The rest of the time we have had the added expense of buying and running the car, etc. and the stress of driving when I don't want to.

tabilia (10 posts) • 0

the reason for the 12 point rule with the licence plate is to prevent people from leaving an accident. They want you to place the licence plate correctly and unchanged so that you can be identified.

spelunkus (81 posts) • 0

@HFCAMPO and @tabilia thanks for those details.

I just submitted all of my paperwork in April 2013 and can confirm the details in their posts above are still correct with a few exceptions:

1. The translation cost was 30RMB per person though.
2. The English tests I believe are scheduled various days of the week. I was told the following Thursday was not available, but Mon-Wed were. Not sure if that was the schedule for every week or just the week I was going to test in (Though in writing this I now realize I need to confirm that my test will be in English... I'd be surprised if they give me the Chinese one though). I'll report back on this.

I have a copy of the 2013 English test, given to me by the Traffic Bureau directly. If anyone wants a copy PM me.

Matt

tabilia (10 posts) • 0

Hi Matt,

I did the test on a friday (normaly only thursdays for foreigners). They can choose the language before you start the test (I'm not sure anymore, perhaps I could also choose the language directly on the computer. There was something in chinese on the screen before starting the test that i couldn't read so somebody helped me with that)

Good luck :)
tabilia

spelunkus (81 posts) • 0

@tabilia

Thanks. Did the test have any questions with animated images? e.g. did you see any showing a person talking on a cellphone or driving into the emergency lane, or turning left onto a no-left-turn road, etc.? There is a newer version of the test that is like that, and I'm trying to figure out if Kunming is using that version yet.

The older version of the test just had regular text questions, true/false and multiple choice, with non-animated images used for questions about road signs and hand signals.

Which one sounds closer to what you took?

Thanks,
Matt

lummerlaoshi (130 posts) • 0

Hi all,

Does anyone have the current 2013 driving test (paper version) questions in English? If not, if I go to register for the test, will they give me the paper-version of the test for free? Finally, my American license will expire in December (the new one is being processed right now). Should I wait for the new license to arrive or should I just take the driving test before my American one expires?

Thanks!

Related forum threads

Login to post