GoKunming Forums

Chinese driver's license

humana (6 posts) • 0

Does anyone know the adress to take the examination for Chinese Driver licence in kunming? I have a valid licence from Europe. Thank you!

dtedheshidtedheshi (46 posts) • 0

Hi, I'd like to second humana's request for the address of the driver's license exam center. I only need to do the computer exam as I have a U.S. license. Anybody know where it is? Thanks!

dtedheshidtedheshi (46 posts) • 0

Hi, I'd like to second humana's request for the address of the driver's license exam center. I only need to do the computer exam as I have a U.S. license. Anybody know where it is? Thanks!

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

All information above might per 2013 be outdated.
You might have heard that by the first of January 2013 new traffic regulations come into effect. This means as well that per that date the examination system will be changed. The non Chinese examination (Read; in English) is not ready yet and it is unclear when that will be. This means that examinations will only be in Chinese for the time being.
This means that one still has till the end of this year, well Thursday 27 to do the theoretic examination (Foreigners can only do examinations on Thursdays).
I found out last Monday and did the Motorbike examination yesterday. I passed thus don't have to go for my last shot on the 27th. But it shows that id one is familiar with the material one can do it in a few days.
The examination as it is now means learning all the questions and answers (Even when they are wrong) and is thus more of a memory exercise than a real test to see if you understand the matter. 5 years ago I did the previous test and that was far worse and included having to memorise the whole Chinese traffic code. The examination has thus improved and it is hoped that the next one will be even better and more practical.

The address and phone are still the same but inform thus first if they already do examinations in English before you go there.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

All information above might per 2013 be outdated.
You might have heard that by the first of January 2013 new traffic regulations come into effect. This means as well that per that date the examination system will be changed. The non Chinese examination (Read; in English) is not ready yet and it is unclear when that will be. This means that examinations will only be in Chinese for the time being.
This means that one still has till the end of this year, well Thursday 27 to do the theoretic examination (Foreigners can only do examinations on Thursdays).
I found out last Monday and did the Motorbike examination yesterday. I passed thus don't have to go for my last shot on the 27th. But it shows that id one is familiar with the material one can do it in a few days.
The examination as it is now means learning all the questions and answers (Even when they are wrong) and is thus more of a memory exercise than a real test to see if you understand the matter. 5 years ago I did the previous test and that was far worse and included having to memorise the whole Chinese traffic code. The examination has thus improved and it is hoped that the next one will be even better and more practical.

The address and phone are still the same but inform thus first if they already do examinations in English before you go there.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Complete information for Chinese Drivers License

Step 1 – Translation of current License:

The Translators Association of Yunnan Province - 云南翻译工作者协会.
#2 Guo Fang Road - 国防路2 – Is located on the corner of Jin Bi Road + Guo Fang Road. Go to Jin Bi Road - Mi Le Si Bus Stop – Bus: 4, 62, 90, 120, 148, A1.
Walk 1 block east to Guo Fang Road – Opposite of Xi Chang Road.
Cost: 40 RMB for translation.
Phone: 4145503 or 4196335.

Online Quiz - www.chinacartimes.com/quiz/

Step 2 – What to bring:

1. Drivers License + Translated Drivers License + Copies.
2. Passport and Visa + copies.
3. Household Registration form.
4. 5 Passport Photos.
5. 60 RMB for the exam.
6. 12 RMB for the physical.
7. 10 RMB for the license.

Step 3 – Where to go:

Thursday is Foreigner Day –

Bus A6: Stops directly in front of the Vehicle Management Station.
Bus: 3, 66, 73, 95, 107, 118, 206, 213, 229, A8, C137, K12 (Jing Kai Qu Guan Wei Hui). Stops directly in front of the China Post Office – Turn right to # 12 Jing Kai Road.
Kunming Shi Che Guan Suo – 昆明市车管所 – Kunming Vehicle Management Station.
Phone – 7267863

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

As someone stated above, the regulations have changed so it is best for you to go to the office in person and get the new info directly. The info I just posted above will help you find the Vehicle Management Station as well as help you prepare the documents you need.

tabilia (10 posts) • 0

Hi,

I did the test this week and got my lisence!!! :D
The Infos of HFCAMPO is still correct in 2013.
Additional:
- The passport photos must be smaller than the normal ones, you can do it there for 15 RMB
- you need a chinese name (and have to sign several times with it!!!), so better you choose one before going there
- be careful with the translation. I have a german license and they translated the part for motorbikes wrong so I had to talk a lot to them so that they gave me not only C1 but C1F.
- the questions changed to the ones of 2012. You cannot get them in english to practise yet, so you have to study the old ones. For me the english translation seemed okay, perhaps even a little bit better than the old ones.
One big change in 2013 is that the 12-point system changed. I found this on a website and it helped me to be able to answer the new questions:

1 point:
• Failing to carry a driving license or vehicle registration
• Failing to display a roadworthiness certificate on vehicle
• Failing to display an insurance certificate on vehicle
• Driving without the correct lights

2 points:
• Using a mobile phone while driving
• Driving an vehicle overloaded by up to 20% over capacity
• Overtaking and cutting into a line of traffic
• Using the wrong lane at a controlled intersection
• Driving without seat-belts on an expressway

3 points:
• Driving recklessly when approaching a pedestrian crosswalk
• Overtaking on highway ramps
• Ignoring road markings
• Failing to give way to pedestrians or vehicles when making a turn
• Failing to give way to an oncoming vehicle making a left turn, when your vehicle is turning right
• Driving up to 50% over the speed limit
• Failing to give way to emergency vehicles
• Overtaking when it is prohibited or driving on the wrong side of an expressway
• Driving in the wrong lane of urban expressways

6 points:
• Driving with a suspended license
• Using the emergency lane on expressways when traffic is congested
• Running a red light
• Failure to give way to a School Bus(A series of fatal school bus accidents have happened since October 2011, and the management on school bus needs to be regulated.)

12 points:
• Driving in reverse on highway, driving on wrong side of highway, or making a U-turn on a highway
• Driving at more than 50% over the speed limit
• Driving while under the influence of alcohol, or driving while intoxicated
• Leaving the scene of an accident
• Failure to properly display license number plates, obstructing number plates, defacing number plates

Related forum threads

Login to post