GoKunming Forums

Long term health (feeling)

mr_woggle (30 posts) • 0

@redjon777 thanks for that article. The biggest problem I might have is that I feel too much of a customer and too little of a patient.

This whole industry is becoming just like any other service you can order on meituan. Especially with all these packages. I mean, it is the same as going to the restaurant. If I don't take this or that package I might miss out or have to pay double.

mr_woggle (30 posts) • +1

I agree with herenow. Although I do think that a lot of hospital and dental clinics have the newest technology, it is the whole chain that is still lacking. Especially like coordination or follow ups (long term)

Kinda off-topic this analogy, but I just took an inland flight. Airports and airplanes all great. High-speed train waiting for me. It is just that once I got off the plane, me and the other the other passengers just kept walking around in circles on the airport.

redjon777 (560 posts) • +1

@ishmael I’m from the uk so the added bonus of free health care there to add to the thought process to. As for weight, it’s definitely not an issue about being overweight lol, I’ve spent my whole life just trying to keep at the ideal weight for my size. If I don’t eat plenty I soon lose weight, a problem most people would probably enjoy ;o) and no worries, if I ask for advice about health I can hardly expect weight not to be brought into the equation of thought.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • +1

Well, how about the meds u possibly get prescription for.

I dont eat meds, but if i did - or had to - me thinks - when it comes to asia - id go to the counter in one of those places with ISO assessments or similar.

Do i need to explain why....

Peter99 (1246 posts) • +1

Anyway, we can probably use aliens concept of ”cultural uneasiness” on those millions and millions of chinese who do so in this issue. So lets not completely dish him on that invention.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • -3
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

@redjon777
I really hate it when people refer to certain countries having "free" health care.

It's not free - it get's paid for by taxes.

The money has to come from somewhere.
It costs me several thousand dollars a year to contribute to healthcare in Canada, yet I haven't collected on any of it since 2009.

If China instituted a similar "no charge to the user" system they would have to collect the costs in taxes somewhere else.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +2

tax is the fairest way of spreading the cost, and single payer works out much cheaper. if you put anything out to the market it gets more expensive. uk has loads of examples of that. you have to feed the fat cats first. you get the lowest levels of service to maximise profit. you get decaying infrastructure coz money is not spent on maint, or you give companies cart blanc to whack up the prices

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

@AlPage tell that to a person who’s never worked a day in their life and they’ll tell you it certainly feels very free lol. As for me, well I’ve not really contributed to the British tax system since living in China have I? But I’ll still be able to go back home and use the health services.

So yeah it’s paid for by tax but depending on your perspective it can be very ‘free’ feeling. Especially when as I said, if you need to use these services your 1st thoughts are not of the cost and reputation of the hospital you’ll be using.

So, get over it. It can be very free to a lot of people whether others are footing the bill or not, that’s fact!

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +1

It's about time China started a decent free health service. I doubt UK per capita income in 1947 (when the NHS was founded) was any higher than China's today. If increased taxes meant people could afford less cars that would also be a bonus.

By the way, Redjon, if you live overseas you lose NHS cover. It's based on residence not nationality.

redjon777 (560 posts) • -2

@cloudtrapezer living in China has never been the thing since I can’t have permanent residency here. It’s just one renewal of a visa after another. So yes I’m still a resident back in the UK with a home there to go to back to if the need ever arose. But paying the NI insurance tax (which is meant to cover things like health care and comes out of wages) back home is another thing. I doubt too many British laowai are paying NI.

Related forum threads

Login to post