GoKunming Forums

Long term health (feeling)

Ishmael (462 posts) • -1

@JanJal: Agreed, but both are healthier than riding in taxis or private cars, if you are fit enough (marathons & year-long bicycle trips may not be healthy for everyone).

redjon777 (560 posts) • +1

@ishmael

being happy has never made me healthier, nor has being healthy made me happier. Also as janjal pointed out extreme sports of any type can lead to a strain on the body compared to mild exercise.
As for the average, well as they say it’s never too late to stop. Stopping now even at 74 will still improve your average. I know because I am stopping (once I’ve finished my last pack lol) and have checked out a fair bit of research on the topic.

JanJal (1243 posts) • +3

The link between health and happiness is easy to ignore when you have both.

Being healthy does not generally make anyone happier, but losing that health would reduce happiness for most people.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +3

It's like air. When you have problems breathing that's when most people realize how lucky they are to have healthy lungs. Happiness is subjective. Many rich people are so unhappy while I see plenty if people here with close to nothing and their happiness meter is off the charts. I think one's expectations plays and important part.

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

@redjon: I misunderstood your reference to 'the average' - you apparently meant 'the average for smokers' - I thought you meant the average of... people in Kunming? westerners in Kunmiing?... regarding their health in Kunming. 'Once you finish your last pack (lol)' - best wishes, I've done that numerous times...
So yeah: maybe the problem is your smoking (whereas I seem to be lucky, so far), and not Kunming food or air or whatever. Of course, smoking in Kunming is indeed a general health problem, and it's not the easiest place to quit. I started smoking again, after quitting, a few days after entering China the 1st time, when I met some friendly health officials with whom I ate and drank - really enjoyed the dinner with them, and of course they offered me cigarettes, which I took... also baijiu, which I handled well (I've never gotten addicted to baijiu, though I don't hate it anymore).

herenow (357 posts) • +3

@vera: I wouldn't take dolphin too seriously. He has a history of making off-the-wall pronouncements, and his attack on your earlier post is just the latest instance.

For example, see his post with 12 downvotes here: www.gokunming.com/[...]

Peter99 (1246 posts) • -1

its a good comment by dolphin - theres a touch of originality, and creativity (the one that got minus 12). Maybe even thought.

Where u guys at thats not really encouraged, glad to see the laowai community has adopted well.

Same western ppl who been cryin for decades for freedom of speech, thought and liberalism, now try to confirm us to their un-reality with barbed wire fences around narrow sheep corrals.

Would be something to be artist around, you need to do quite damn abstract art - on purpose. Or stick to safe basics.

Anyway, its clear some of u have found ur global corner that suits the best ur ideals.

herenow (357 posts) • +1

Peter, your argument is somewhat obscured by sneering condescension and sweeping generalizations. However, based on what I discerned in your post, I would say the following:

1. Your likening of simple critiques of someone's ideas (involving no censorship or other repercussions, nor even the suggestion thereof) to "barbed wire fences around narrow sheep corrals" is ludicrously hyperbolic, and obviously wrong.

2. You come across as a dry drunk with regard to your endless criticism of Kunming expats. Specifically, in the sense that the dry drunk's characteristically feverish denunciations of others' supposed alcoholism are fueled by his guilt and self-loathing about his own not-so-long-ago conduct.

3. Something odd seems to be going on with you and dolphin. A while back you were sympathetic to him. Then you wrote a post a few months ago criticizing him in much more brutal and personal terms than I have ever used ( www.gokunming.com/[...] ). Then you wrote another post the next day (same link) essentially disavowing your own denigration of him. More recently there has been a bromance of sorts between you two since he announced he is leaving China. And now you are springing to his defense within hours after I responded to his unprovoked attack on another user's post (and again, my response was in much milder terms than you yourself had used against him). I don't know what this soap opera is all about, but maybe you guys can take it up in some other context and leave the rest of us out of it.

dolphin (509 posts) • -4
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

Wow!

Did I attack you, Vera? Maybe I was a bit harsh. And I was out of line assuming I can gauge your mental state. I understood that your health issues were being caused by living in China. Which you clarified. I was wrong.

Edit: sorry I just reread your post and it does seem like you are suggesting that your health has suffered as a result of living in China. You even mention visa stress as one issue, but then later you claim it was cycling before coming to China. I don’t think you are being entirely on the up and up. You are contradicting yourself. So conversation over.

jj123 (99 posts) • +3

@RedJohn,

I think you nailed it on the head.

Exercise and Diet!

It seems like an oversimplification but

it's key.

I've been here over a decade, older than you, and age is a factor for sure.
Kids can be a factor as well, I have two, had a school teaching almost all young and often sick kids, lived in a dampish atmosphere, and was often sick.

I drastically changed my diet a few years ago and the changes have been quite obvious.

As Vera stated, the pickled foods and getting your PH in your gut is key.

Perhaps this is obvious, perhaps not.

Eating out often probably won't be helpful, even if it's so tasty, i.e. street food. I used to do that all the time my first few years, but I often felt it.

My endurance has gotten lower, it takes me a few days to recover now when riding a bike or long hike or something, that definitely something to consider.

Eat healthy, get the gut in order, do that cardio, and I bet your illnesses will get better and less, and you will feel overall better.

There is a ton of material online regarding healthy living, fasting, intermittent fasting, sleep is extremely important.

Good luck!

Related forum threads

Login to post