GoKunming Forums

Long term health (feeling)

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

The logic chopping and playing with words on here is pathetic. I know people who've been here twenty years. If that isn't immigration I'd like to know what is. And how many immigrants go to Europe or the USA to make money and then return home, maybe to retire. Quite a lot I'd say. It's a big world and you lot have travelled a long way to get here but never figured that out.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

My comment was not about what you or other foreigners would call immigrant, but what the Chinese people and authorities would call immigrant, and why the trend in labeling us/them could be so different here and in west.

As to "how many immigrants go to Europe or the USA to make money and then return home", I'm pretty sure the ratio of those who choose to remain permanently (with not only permanent residency but often with acquired nationality) is much bigger in those countries, than among foreigners in China.

herenow (357 posts) • -2

@cloudtrapezer: I tend to think of you as having a sort of endearingly edgy Mr. Crankypants persona, but you honestly seem a bit unhinged in this thread. Maybe it's time to step away from the keyboard and get some fresh air.

@cloudtrapezer wrote "Neologism, long standing in academic literature. Swallowing a dictionary doesn't make you clever"

That is vocabulary that you would learn in a high school English class. Anybody who imagined they were making themselves look clever by using those terms would be foolish indeed. They just seemed best suited to the context at the moment when I was writing. You're grasping at straws now.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

Listen if you want to stay here you can. Everyone knows this. It's extremely difficult to get a Chinese green card and still more difficult to get citizenship. But there are ways to stay on. I know quite a few old folks here. Going home is a choice. I wonder why more of the whiners don't do it

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

@cloudtrapezer: "Going home is a choice. I wonder why more of the whiners don't do it"

Whiners would be whiners regardless of them staying here or going home. Their whining should rarely be taken as indicator of their preference for living location.

At least I prefer to whine about things that I can experience or observe myself, and living in China that is often something related to China.

Hence we could try to return to the OP of health (or feeling about personal health) as a question about the relevant environment in Kunming (or China as whole), since that's where we are.

We could have similar health questions no matter where we lived. We could be whining (or discussing) about immigrants or strange eating habits anywhere else too.

herenow (357 posts) • -2

@cloudtrapezer: That sounds like it might be a cutting insult. Except that even after looking at the Wikipedia entry for Charles Pooter, I don't see how it applies to me. Feel free to twist the blade by enlightening me, as I'm actually kind of curious to know.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Anyway, it would be interesting to hear other peoples experiences when they went back to native country. Even for a year or two. For example, how long did it take for u to get back in system, and how did it work out for u. Or did it. How about your kid, or was that a struggle too.

Or how about health insurances overseas in general, is anyone fully covered in china/asia and what is the yearly cost? Will chinese companies allow foreigners for health insurances? Do u have a chinese health insurance - will it cover whole family including laowai - or some other insurance? Etc.

Feel free to say, despite the polemic going on, it could be useful to know this stuff and share experiences.

I can say from experience one tip, that is if u have a passport full of visas and stamps, it will raise immediate interest. If u can avoid that, then try to. For example by getting a new passport end of your stay.

Related forum threads

Login to post