GoKunming Forums

Long term health (feeling)

Ishmael (462 posts) • -2

@JanJal: The more serious health concerns indeed about 'locals who don't have much choices'. Of course health in rural areas and for the poor are better than they once were, but every time I see the state or private enterprise putting money into expensive things to please middle class or rich people in the cities I think of a banner raised in a demonstration by farmers in the US in the 1920s:
"WE HAVE FED YOU ALL FOR 10,000 YEARS!"
That is, factually, quite accurate - and to be remembered whenever there are discussions about Progress, Necessities, Modernity, Efficiency, competitive position (including that of states) - and most of all, Value: USE VALUE of things (not market value) - maybe 3 weeks without food before you die? And no 'civilization' without it.
So I think serious concerns about health in Kunming might focus on the rural areas in Yunnan, and on those who can't pay even the relatively low prices for operations thanks to all them serious competitive economic goals which people are encouraged to concentrate on, just a weeny bit more.
Money & health, as you say.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +1

i will be brutally honest. my first focus is the health care i can get for me and my family. everything else is secondary. might sound selfish, but it is being honest and human. i bet that them what makes the decisions also prioritize their own first. where do the key budget controllers live? not in rural

JanJal (1243 posts) • +1

@Dazzer: "my first focus is the health care i can get for me and my family"

Can't argue with that.

However, there are two thresholds in play here.

One is, that with stable and decent income (especially if you have experienced the kind of public "free" social welfare that some western countries provide) you stop worrying the healthcare of yourself or your family - it becomes given. You may worry about health, and maintaining it, but not about the care you'd receive.

Another threshold, relevant to your last sentence ("them what makes the decisions also prioritize their own first") is how far you can go with that until you get social instability. China is still governed by many ideas of the revolution, in good and bad.

Ishmael (462 posts) • -2

In the short run, at least, note that social instability is bad for health. So
Do The Right Thing, as Spike Lee said (different context, of course) - thems that don't, well...
But aren't we getting way off the OP? Where's redjon? It was his.

@janjal: My comment, "Hope this all makes you feel better about your health here." - I got confused, meant the comment for redjon, and I wasn't being snide.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • -1

@ ishmael

Whats wrong with using word ”illegal” when thats a definition by law. Once u overstay ur visa in china ud be illegal too. Why dont u try that there and see how it goes on the sympathy front. What? ”Nobody is illegal”, is that what u gonna say....to the moral overlords. Nah, u wont do it there as ur a hypocrite.

JanJal (1243 posts) • +1

I'm not sure what that is about, but there is a difference between illegal immigrant, and a refugee whose status (and often a level of healthcare) are guaranteed by laws of the respective country.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • -2

Yea, lets not jump into it, but illegal immigrants been given right to get free healthcare in some countries like mine, (not sure ab uk). But lets try to cut this short, it was just a nuance in the process. Usa has similar thing going on in some states. Just sayin’, yea feels quite peculiar when u got kicked out of healthcare and an illegal gets in. They didnt take away my passport though, maybe thats next on the list.

uk ppl ive met in spain say anyway, uk healthcare complete mess, with months of long lines, so expect things to have changed quite dramatically when back. When u finally get back in the nhs, well, maybe not much difference anyway.

herenow (357 posts) • 0

It's a rum thing how advocates for illegal aliens are dictating the vocabulary that native-born citizens may or may not use to describe the uninvited guests in their homelands.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • -2

Makes me laugh how immigrants to China complain about immigrants into countries they left ages ago. A little self reflection wouldn't go amiss. And don't split hairs about legal and illegal. Everyone knows Chinese laws and regulations are flexible, not to say bendable.

herenow (357 posts) • -1

The challenge to self-reflect is a fair one, and I did have a think after I read your post.

But I have nothing against immigrants to Western countries as you seem to imply. My impression is that most of them are just making a brave attempt to gain a better life for themselves. I do think that those who came illegally should return home for a variety of reasons, but I don't blame them for making the attempt.

Whether or not immigrants should be granted entry to a given country is a policy question that is contingent on national circumstances. Immigration can be good for one country and bad for another at a given point in time. I think it's bad policy on balance for the West right now, but that in no way obliges me to conclude that it's also bad policy for China.

Furthermore, the issue I raised in my post was about advocates, and that's where I think your comparison really breaks down. There are no Chinese advocates for Western expats/immigrants wagging their finger in the face of their countrymen and policing they way they talk about us.

Related forum threads

Login to post