GoKunming Forums

Taking a dog to the US via Beijing

Ana_P (2 posts) • 0

I'm looking at taking my dog back to the states with me for 4 months this summer (and then coming back to China). I've read up on what he would need to exit China (far more complicated than entering California), but I notice if my flight is through Beijing, he is supposed to have a health check in Beijing. Does anyone have experience taking a pet out of China via Beijing? If I get the health check in Kunming (or Lijiang- closer to where I live) would that work?

GerryboGerrybo (4 posts) • 0

You will need a health check from an official shengpu clinic in Beijing and a new round of vaccinations. Even if you already have vaccinations and chips from yunnan to fly domestically, you will need to revaccinate at the government clinic. Then, after you complete your vaccinations, you will need to return to get an international ID chip.

A week after getting chipped you will need to return to the shengpu clinic in BJ once again to check that your chip is activated and working correctly.

Then the week before you fly out you will need to go to a customs office to get your travel papers (these are separate from your pet passport). Some things to think about:

1.Be sure you tell the shengpu clinic and that you plan on returning to China with your dogs.

2.The paperwork for a return trip with your dog is different than a one way ticket.

3.Many airlines have weather and restrictions.

For example, you may not be able to fly with a bulldog if the weather is above 25 degrees in BJ.
4. Different Chinese provinces have different quarantine restrictions. Before buying your return ticket to China, do your research about quarantines.

Used to be that Guangzhou only required 7 days quarantine, but BJ and SH required 30 days.

I'm not sure what the laws are now.

Ana_P (2 posts) • 0

Wow, I appreciate the detailed response! I read that as of May 1, 2019 there will no longer be a quarantine for pets entering through Beijing provided they have had a blood titer test for rabies 90 days prior to entry.

Sounds like flying out from Beijing is a bit of a hassle for my Yunnan mongrel though.

Thank you very much for the information!

Login to post