GoKunming Forums

Close and Accessible Mountains to Kunming

landskroenerdj1 (10 posts) • 0

I'm looking to do some high altitude training the next couple months. I'm looking to get up to 4000 Meters or 14,000 feet. What mountains are closest and most accessible to Kunming to get that high?

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +1

It'll take you a couple of days to get there, but you might try Litang in western Sichuan. It's at 4000 meters on a plain surrounded by even higher

mountains. It's a Tibetan town and has a nice monastery. In fact it's an old centre of Tibetan culture.

There are restaurants and guesthouses. Should be a good training base. Head north to Shangri-la and you'll find a bus or minibus to take you there.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +1

Well Cangshan in Dali gets to 4000 meters but you have to take a cable car to get that high and the service is often suspended because of high winds. Jade Dragon mountain in Lijiang is well over 4000 meters but the cable car is very expensive. There are other mountains in Lijiang obviously. Best ask someone who lives there.

SMITTYSMITTY (1 post) • +2

Jiaozi Mountain is about 2 1/2 hours north of Kunming It has cable car but you can take walkway and stairs to the top,should get you to 14,000,I say 2 1/2 hours but then my sister-in-law drives fast

Related forum threads

Login to post