GoKunming Forums

Spring Festival around KM

mamapallooza (4 posts) • 0

Hello, can someone please be so kind to let me know where and when Spring Festival festivities (parades, dances, etc) will happen? I'm having trouble finding any information and wish to participate as much as possible. Thank you! 新年快乐!!

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

There's no parade. People leave Kunming so you'll find hardly any folks hanging around.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +2

Spring Festival is a time for family. People go home, stay at home today, eat too much, watch the television gala performance; w hich goes on for hours until midnight on almost every TV channel.

Every family will set off fireworks before the evening meal, and again at midnight, young people may be setting off fireworks all night. Step outside at midnight and watch the sky fill with fire and smoke.
If you are outside China, many China towns have a parade to remind them of home. In China, they are home, and so no parade.

mamapallooza (4 posts) • 0

Absolutely, spending time with family is tops. I was happy to spend last night with a local friend and her family. Eating, talking, eating, watching CCTV, eating some more. It was great. The fireworks last night were quite something as well. Definitely a memorable first CNY.

thanks @Philou, that helps! and thanks all for your responses. 新年好!

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +1

If you want to see public festivities during Spring Festival you can go to the Temple Fairs( Miaohui 庙会 ).

There should be fairs at Guandu Old Town (官渡古镇), Golden Temple (金殿)and at Tea Horse Flower Street (茶马花街)near Xishan.

I don't know exact times and places. Get a Chinese friend to take you.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +2

Just noticed that the GoKunming special events page has details of the Golden Temple Fair

Dates: Feb 5-14
Event: Golden Temple will hold daily miaohui (庙会) — or 'temple fair' — events for nine days. These will include traditional lion and dragon dances, musical performances, kite-flying, bamboo weaving, shadow puppetry etc

Related forum threads

Login to post