GoKunming Forums

Which place can remind you of your hometown in Kun

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

If considering reminders of my home country, then definitely supermarkets like Metro or Walmart (even though we don't have these specific brands), since in my country wet markets simply do not exist.

But if specifically my hometown, then have to go out of Kunming since I gew up in what Chinese would call rural place outside cities and even their suburbs.

pad snow (3 posts) • 0

Is there a kind of underfloor shopping mall in Kunming where you can buy food from different countries?
Thank you

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

Tall slick modern buildings and too many private cars, like almost everywhere in 'successful' societies that have a somewhat odd linear idea of Progress.
Oh... which place? MacDonald's.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

The old road over the top of the mountains, between Lijiang and Shangrila. The geomorphology is identical, only the mountains and valleys between are about 4x the scale of those back home. But without buildings to give a sense of scale, they look and feel the same.

The climate is also similar providing for very similar plants and vegetation patterns. Both areas are also sparsely populated.

Related forum threads

Login to post