GoKunming Forums

Failed international HS

Dazzer (2813 posts) • -2

i worked in one of these places and most of the kids, not all, were those who were failing in the chinese ed system. some not up to it, some too lazy, some maladjusted. a small number of good students who did very well and got prepared for western ed. the latter group would do well in any walk of life anywhere. most fo the parents were buying the kids a way out from failure. some these kids then went to america and failed first year then when to some little college and came back with a useless bit of paper, but with bragging right. these are kids who could only aspire to mediocrity in any walk of life, destined to become financially dependent on daddy

Napoleon (1187 posts) • +1

Very true Dazzer these places are a refuge for people who don't fit in elsewhere. The weird kids, the stupid kids, the lazy kids who are all on their last chance at getting into a university of any kind - and the go getting western centric students who have this down as plan to get abroad. Not much in the middle, plus the common factor across all the student base will be their parents are wealthy enough to support it.

Trumpster (84 posts) • 0

@Dazzer, @Napolean, Good points, this is how I kinda see international programs in China, nothing more than a snake oil scheme. Not to say there aren't good quality international education programs, but the kids that are able to get accepted in those programs would most likely be able to do well in a traditional Chinese high school and be accepted in a decent or top university in China or abroad regardless.

This is why I was curious to see if it was the changing market conditions that did them in or if it was poor management and that there is still a slim possibility that the Kunming market can support a good top quality program.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

I believe the blame was left at the door of the current economic climate in this schools case. Obviously whoever was in charge of finances should also take the blame.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

I'll also add, that if a boy fails high school and subsequently misses a college spot (even a useless degree), he's that much more likely to spend 2 years in military service in near future.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +2

most of these international progs are not snake oil, often well funded and supported/approved by top universities overseas. 3 years of proper curriculum. it is the 1 year transfer progs that can be a bit dodgy. lots in kunming, maybe 20 or more, most run as little chinese owned and run consultancies. that offer academic english and college application service. for students who have done and even failed gaokao .i worked in one of these places to. this is very different from the proper international progs and shouldnt be confused

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

Wealthy parents' ability to buy their kids out of various failures does not solve education problems and only strengthens social ones. What place do the 'international high schools' play in this?
Pity the kid from, and probably still in, the dirt-hilltop village.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • -1

same old same old the world over. one result of education is people who just go online asking dumb questions to seek validation

Dazzer (2813 posts) • -1

if the purpose of question is just for the sake of asking a question, that is dumb. and if the question is just a disguised juegment also dumb. whats the point? most of your question look they are for that. and you do ask a lotta lotta questions.

Related forum threads

Login to post