GoKunming Forums

Failed international HS

Ishmael (462 posts) • -1

The point is to get people to see what valid answers they can come up with, all by themselves.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

who are you to presume to teach us how to think or that we are not capable of thinking on our own? bit arrogant/pompous dontya think

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Actually I think he's trying to learn what we think, which is quite the opposite. Although what answers are "valid" should remain open for debate.

Trumpster (84 posts) • +2

@Dazzer, By international education programs, I do not mean those that originated or sponsored by legitimate foreign University but locally spawned programs with "International" in their name.

But even then, when it comes down to it, a lot of these legitimate international programs that you speak of have subtly changed where it is now more about the money. Let's face it, over the last few decades, Universities have grown to rely upon international students and the international tuition they bring to support their research and provide funding. Standards for entry have been lowered in all but the most prestigious school such that with enough money, you can be guaranteed an acceptance letter for a mainstream university, albeit with stipulation that you attend a language school sponsored through the university first, which means more money.

When it comes to international departments at these Universities, the focus these days is not are these students prepared or qualified to receive the education we provide but how to satisfy immigration so that we can get these kids over here and start forking over their parent's money. Where as the the foundation programs were about bring students up to the quality necessary to achieve success, the mission now includes to find prospective students and funnel them into universities with preparedness as an afterthought.

As the saying goes, money corrupts the best of men.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • -1

Unfortunately all true except for the bit about the most prestigious schools. They require A grades for sure, but even if you have them forget it if you're without the

necessary influence. They don't call it the Kennedy School of Guanxi for nothing.

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

Dazzer, I find that others think of things I haven't. Exchange and discussion of ideas is an old process thought to be valuable, but don't bother if you don't want to, or if you already know all the answers.
There is, of course, the argument that nobody can ever change anybody else's mind with mere facts or reason, etc., , but I don't buy that one. If you do, we can talk about it and if you can convince me then maybe I'll give up language altogether.
Anyway, it's also the case that you don't have to answer any questions that you don't want to answer, even for yourself, so what are you complaining about? (You don't have to answer that one either).

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • -2

Don't see why you're voting me down. I got my information from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • +1

No one is going from these international schools to the top schools. No one can do that without deserving it. But in many countries, the US especially, it's a business and they welcome students who can come, spend time in language courses and foundation levels before getting what they wanted. Students at these kind of schools international have the money to do that and at both ends, no one is really that bothered if they have the knowledge or not.

Related forum threads

Login to post