GoKunming Forums

Hot Pot ha ha ha

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

I've gotta love this guy. I could not agree more that hot pot isn't special. Lots of flavours does not always equal delicious. The guy is also right that this kind of food is killing the need for chefs.

www.theguardian.com/[...]

I love fried chicken but I will be the first to admit it is often junk, and the fried chicken served up in most restaurants could not be described as southern cuisine.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • -1

Hotpot is a dog's dinner. But you have to say it's a relatively social occasion because people are scared of dropping their 5000 kuai phones in the pot. And it's a great business model. Get some chopped up meat delivered and let the punters cook it themselves.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

If anyone thinks hotpot is like 'leftover dishwater' then they should see some of the soup!

So is the Food God honest or just foolish to say that in public?

lemon lover (1006 posts) • +1

Well the days are over that good hotpots were basically red peppers in beef fat. That was indeed disgusting. I have no problems with a good Yunnan hotpot modern style, that is; less but still enough red pepper and only enough fat to give it some taste. Point is that indeed you have to like a bit of spiciness and I do. I can imagine that the “Food God” of the article is talking about Hong Kong hotpot. I never had it but given Hongkong style is Cantonese thus sweet and sourer I can imagine that that does not forms to right base of a good hotpot. Without the red peppers one indeed ends up with 'leftover dishwater' (Also the real leftover dishwater from my mother in law will still be too spicy for most Laowais)

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Hot pot can be great. I like it especially when I can be sure its not played with.

So anyway, there was a guy near Jinma on sidealley - thats around 2009 bcs its just after olympics - who had invented his own taste in hotpot. He had own corn baijiu too, and was a great guy. He was Hani, and the hotpot was addictively good. I cant even describe so good taste, the sauce was dark and almost mystically fragrant. The recipe was “a secret”. Later heard people actually did use opium sometimes to do some intentional addiction, and add it up. I have always wondered if he did. So unfortunately/fortunately he had to close his restaurant in 2010 bcs rent went skyhigh in Jinma area when metro station came in the urban planning.

After that Ive tried opium in food twice in Yunnan. Secret places of course, and u need “face” and local guangxi to get to taste this. One was the dip for the hotpot with poppy seeds, and fried leaves (still popular in Dali) and second was dayanji (big smoke chicken). The mythical Yunnan dayanji opium chicken was famous in Yunnan - and whole China - until 1950. So mythical was its fame, its still in the old mens legends today.

Blastfromthepast (14 posts) • 0

@Peter99
Thanks for the update. Always like a good place to eat.
Shit!!!!!!!!!!!! That was 10 years ago.

That’s not an update but historic information.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • -1

@ Lemon

You need a cultural initiation before you are let to the quintessential Yunnan secrets. Oh, theres plenty. What might have blocked you?

Havent seen a single esl teacher or ngo weirdo ever let even close.

The day the esl tecaher is invited to big smoke chicken by a secret society, thats when calamities are about to start, bcs heaven has turned around.

Related forum threads

Login to post