GoKunming Forums

Things still cool in Yunnan?

bilingualexpat (219 posts) • 0

@dolphin

You're right. Stand corrected.

Not cool when people are uncivilized...

which begs the question. When is surveillance too much?

Like Ray Bradbury, dystopian novelists paint doom & gloom not to predict the future, but to prevent it. Figuratively & literally speaking, firefighters create burnout control lines to prevent the flames from escaping the boundaries...

apparently the downwind of surveillance and societal control is blowing faster in our direction than anticipated.

dolphin (509 posts) • -7
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

Sorry, I dunno.
:-(
Was reading digital trends a few days ago and an article about the microchip implant reared it’s head. Now that’s scary!

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

@dolphin: 'Surveillance' is a very expandable concept - yes, I think there should be traffic cops in Kunming. But what do 'civilized' and 'uncivilized' mean in Kunming, and according to whose definition, and why this definition? Making the trains run on time (which they usually do in Yunnan) might be considered 'civilized', and Mussolini is said to have done that in Italy nearly a century ago. But what about building shiny new buildings in Kunming that stand empty while local rural education is a bit less than might be considered ideal - and where did the labor come from to build the buildings, and why do people, largely from rural areas, choose construction work as a career?
What's important here, anyway? And for whom?
Right - Kunming is not Miles Davis cool - but note jazz gig tonight at Contemporary Gallery Kunming, sold out.
dolphin: microchip implants in Yunnan? I don't think so, except for animals, not including humans, perhaps.

Stratocaster (161 posts) • +2

Happy to see references to my all-time favorite musician, Miles! I'll be in Lijiang for a couple of weeks soon and would like to visit Kunming if I knew there would be some good jazz in town around X-Mas/New Year's time.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • -6

So their three channels have now become interesting - they started out almost as nerds. Even latest video worth a watch. They are getting it, and also bringing up the inconvenient truths. To the extent they can be said.

Me, I didnt even bother to visit China this year, its all over. Now its more about avoiding intentionally.

So not much more to say, I thought Id peep in here one year later since last time, who cares anyway, but its amazing same people here still high on the mixian.

Thats about it I guess. Comments?

Ishmael (462 posts) • +2

Nobody gets high on mixian. What are you talking about? Why does it look grim to you?

Peter99 (1246 posts) • -9

Man you have a lot to learn. But eventually you will wake up one day. You are better off ignorant though.

Alien, is this you by any chance?

Peter99 (1246 posts) • -8

So now you are called Ishmael. Funny.

Maybe gokunming figured out you are some kind of stasi guy in foreigner community.

Related forum threads

Login to post