GoKunming Forums

Politics and Religion

vicar (817 posts) • 0

Since a group associated to the American democrats have been indirectly campaigning for their party on gokunming under the guise of advice on how or where to vote in China for your party of choice in the US, it has been suggested that anyone from America or entitled to American citizenship living in China should simply go online and search for instructions on the procedure. Invitation under false intention is not only patronizing for an American to be told or persuaded on how to vote by any particular political party attempting to infiltrate China, but also an interference with Chinese law.

Fraud, lies, and deception are ILLEGAL in China. No one should attend a political meeting, advisory session or gathering regarding politics under ANY circumstance unless officially invited by a member of a Party (National or International) in China. All the information you need is online.

Furthermore, in Kunming there are already American established businesses, restaurants and bars where Americans and friends often gather to meet and discuss these and other issues in an informal manner if you require.

The same applies for unofficial religious gatherings or recruitment.

Peace not division x

herenow (357 posts) • +4

I am not particularly a fan of the Democrats, and I don't have trouble believing somebody posted something that was misleading (although I can't find the postings the OP references). If so, it would have been sufficient to simply point that out, and maybe remind people that attending political gatherings here is unwise.

But the original post goes well beyond that -- it amounts to an attempt by an expat to intimidate other expats, which is gross and despicable. And it's common knowledge that the local authorities don't give a hoot what Westerners say about Western politics. So leaving aside the meeting aspect, the insinuation that misleading posts about American voting procedures could result in legal sanctions is transparent BS.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.